Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 06-08-2007, 11:27 PM

Default edirol R-09 ??

any thoughts on the new R-09 as a tool for sampling foley and/or catching ambiance or going to those places a boom just wont go (long shot) and for catching a situation say.., someone walks out a door, no mike on the other side, but he has to walk back in again in the same shot.., would it be handy to have one of these to catch sound as he walks to the other side of the doorway 9hope this makes sense.)

looks cool as it USB.., not a lot can go wrong there.

Mirek

I Mac 24 inch screen, tiger 10.4.11, CPU dual core 2.16ghz, 2 gig ram, UB.
PT 7.3.6. M Box2
Old 06-11-2007, 03:18 AM

Default Re: edirol R-09 ??

I've got one of these and while I love it for the size and use of it I don't think it's any good for example for foley.

The preamps are noisy but of course you could use something else instead of the built-in mics. Then you'd have to have a phantom box hooked up etc. so then you'll have to ask yourself if it would be better to have a full-on Soundevices or something.

For me the R-09 works as an everyday recorder and I've done some satisfying recordings of different ambiences and places just using the internal mics. It's really good for some stealthy recordings on places where you don't want to draw too much attention to yourself.

I've had it with me everywhere I've been since I got it but I've never used it on a set. There it's just a backup for the main recorder.

But it sure is handy with its USB connections and all.

So...Well.. Hope this helps!