Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2021, 02:46 PM

Default Re: Gain Stage transport window meter ?

never thought about a trim plug in last on the chain. do you have it on Zero or also -8? Here is what was happening. one track, a snare to be exact solo and gained it down I have -12 or so coming out on the master buss but the transport meter would clip. I did not know if that was going to cause an issue. I like the gain plug in on the last insert and first. @ questions, last gain is it also on -8 and then do you use clip gain to get everything and balanced level of -18? or where ever you are going to start?
Old 01-07-2021, 02:50 PM

thanks i will check that out
Old 01-07-2021, 02:57 PM

you only insert the trim on the last insert -8? Do you have it on the first slot at all?Before activating the trim plug in do you try to gain stage first? I am always learning something new here
Old 01-07-2021, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgarRothermich View Post
The Meter Type set on the Master Fader Track is always the same as the tiny Output Meters on the Transport Window or Edit Window Control Bar
The OP's obviously wasn't.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 01-07-2021, 03:41 PM

TRIM goes in the last slot only and I have set it up to -8 on every track that it goes on(using in the last slot prevents the TRIM from affecting other plugins). Obviously, if you add a plugin that converts a MONO track to STEREO, you might need to remove and replace TRIM with the stereo version.

The TRIM plugin defaults to -8 when I add it, and all are set to -8 in my templates. If I am doing any tracking, all the TRIM plugins are in bypass(which makes headphone levels loud enough for musicians).

When I get to the mixing stage, I kick all the TRIM plugins out of bypass(to lower the level on the master track). -8 is usually enough( once or twice, I have upped the attenuation to -10 or -12). Other options include lowering the master fader, or putting a TRIM plugin in the first slot on the master. If I need to lower the master by more than 5-6db, then I will leave it and lower all the tracks(AUDIO and INSTRUMENT only). This is more of a personal preference than anything technical.

A handy side benefit of using the TRIM plugin on most tracks is; if you have a bunch of automation moves and decide a track needs to be just a bit louder(or softer), instead of opening the volume automation, you just open the TRIM plugin and adjust the slider.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-07-2021, 03:54 PM

Thanks for the tip. I am going to try that.
Old 01-08-2021, 11:40 AM

If you really want proper digital gain staging, keep in mind that Zero VU=-20 dBFS. Emulation plugins usually take that into account, so if your recorded audio is too hot, it's like hitting analog gear hard enough to get peak compression and ugly harmonic (or even inharmonic) distortion. If all your tracks are recorded properly, mixing becomes almost no brainer. And if it does occasionally hit red on the output master, just pull down the master. That has exactly bit for bit the same effect as putting a trim plugin on the end every channel.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB