Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 04-25-2010, 10:38 AM

Default Is Avid planning on fixing CoreAudio Manager for Snow Leopard

Dear Digidesign, or whatever you're calling yourself,

Are you planning on fixing your software any time this decade?

Love,

me

http://petermalick.wordpress.com
Old 04-25-2010, 11:05 AM

Default Re: Is Avid planning on fixing CoreAudio Manager for Snow Leopard

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbeat View Post

Love,

me
pete

they're "workin' on it"

but i don't think they work on sundays....not sure about fridays and saturdays either if you ever try to call for tech support...

you really didn't need that ol' core audio thing fixed today did ya?

let them rest man they just finished the new website

Old 04-25-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiojimi View Post
pete

they're "workin' on it"

but i don't think they work on sundays....not sure about fridays and saturdays either if you ever try to call for tech support...

you really didn't need that ol' core audio thing fixed today did ya?

let them rest man they just finished the new website
Oh yeah!

Firing all the software engineers always makes me tired, too.

I'll just give them another 6 months or so. I don't have any important work to do anyway.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:56 PM

I too am incredibly frustrated with the state of the Core Audio. It just doesn't work. It crashes CONSTANTLY, I get little bursts of 'meep' sounds, and it will quit. And it won't restart until I reboot the computer.

I have no idea if they will ever get it to work. I highly doubt it. I'm sure it's near the bottom of their priorities, and they don't even seem able these days to get the high priority items done.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:57 AM

I'm adding another post in the hopes of getting 'Avid' to chime in here. Would love to hear a real status report, and not simply corporate speak.

Hoping...
Old 04-26-2010, 09:17 AM

You're not likely to get any reply, and if you are, it will only be 'we're working on it'. But I wonder even if they ARE working on it. I seriously bet right now it's not even on their radar.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:19 AM

What do you guys think, maybe #33 on their list? Right after -9031's and -7100's??
Old 04-26-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNielsen View Post
I get little bursts of 'meep' sounds, and it will quit. And it won't restart until I reboot the computer.
I don't feel too bad for you guys with these minor problems, but I do think you may be in for a multi year wait.

This sounds like it could only happen in a nightmare, but Core Audio was crashing Intel Macs...I mean kernel panics... all day long every day for two years and Avid just made excuses after excuse and brushed it off. And Core Audio was in FAR worse condition than now. It literally would freeze your entire system requiring force quitting 10 times a day.

ALL our systems crashed all day FOR OVER TWO YEARS. And the CUMULATIVE TENS OF THOUSANDS OF HOURS we LOST, restarting and then waiting for spotlight to re-do itself after every severe crash, risking our data with hundreds of thousands of severe MBox 2 kernel panics every year causing forced shut downs! When I encountered this three years ago, I knew the Old Digidesign was GONE. Most people are just now realizing that we're dealing with a whole new company.

That horrendous episode ended a year or two ago...now Avid has even less money allocated to bug fixing. Am I obviously still upset about my irreplaceable time that nightmare wasted. Avid, you must fix the bugs in a timely fashion again.

See the two-year long, 700 post nightmare thread here.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbeat View Post

Love,

me

http://petermalick.wordpress.com
Unfortunately, the history of the company line is that they don't care whether their hardware plays nice with everything else as long as it works perfectly with Pro Tools. I have never understood this point of view considering that they have always been a hardware company as many dissenters point out. I gave up expecting better CoreAudio and ASIO support long ago.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 04-26-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
Unfortunately, the history of the company line is that they don't care whether their hardware plays nice with everything else as long as it works perfectly with Pro Tools. I have never understood this point of view considering that they have always been a hardware company as many dissenters point out. I gave up expecting better CoreAudio and ASIO support long ago.
If Avid argues that it's not a "first-level problem" just because it doesn't happen while running PT, that doesn't hold any water at all. When you buy into a total DAW system like the PT system, it is expected and assumed that that DAW system will be your complete system. Ownership of an MBox2 or a Digidesign 192 or whatever doesn't just mean that it works with the Pro Tools application, it is expected and assumed that it is your total system audio AD DA converter solution for ANYTHING you might do or run on that system. We're now computer light years away from the 1990s and a DAW is not an exclusively PT workstation anymore, it is a digital audio workstation, a multitasking machine, a swiss army knife. I know of no other common PC or Mac DAW system where you have to have multiple interfaces for different uses connected and then run more audio drivers just to run system sound through decent converters.