Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2003, 10:02 AM

Default Re: Mbox dongle

Hello. I'm curious, why would they seriously think about a dongle or something similar to what you ask, and only give it to Mbox systems? If it's implemented as you say, why couldn't it be universal and allow any LE and TDM system to do this? Why just the Mbox?
Old 02-15-2003, 01:13 PM

Cause the Mbox is supposed to be the portable solution.
Old 02-15-2003, 02:49 PM

There I go thinking I'm all original and everything. I had this same idea just after I bought my MBox. I do most of my work on a TDM system, but now that I have 6.0, and the "Command Focus" keys are on LE, I'm very excited about really using my Powerbook more and more -BUT- that dang MBox gets in the way.

Also, I never use it for I/O anyway, just to use the LE software on my Powerbook.

Digi, please make an "EDIT DONGLE" for the MBox. I have actually considered getting another MBox and tearing into it and making my own tiny dongle, but that's the hard and expensive way to do it. I'd much rather have Digi do it and charge me a fee.

I agree that they could license it to LE owners only. If you aren't registered under an LE system, then you can't get one. Seems safe enough for me.

Can you have it ready by this summer? Thanks. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-16-2003, 03:56 AM

By Chompers
Quote:
Cause the Mbox is supposed to be the portable solution.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hello. The point I was making was that once you have developed an item that allows you to run the software without the hardware, why not make it available for all systems? Just think of it for the sake of argument. If they spend the time to get something like that working for Mbox, it wouldn't take them that much more to do it for the other systems. And don't you think all the other systems would want this? Besides, I think you answered your own question. Because, as you yourself say, Digidesign has already produced a portable solution. It's the Mbox.

As others have pointed out, and as I'm sure Digidesign would too, they don't see the Mbox as not portable or something you have to 'lug' around. Actually, this request would be better placed by the other systems which are clearly not as portable. You can make any system portable if you use a Magma chassis and a laptop, or if you put your computer and hardware in a case, a la live sound style. But compare 'lugging' those contraptions around to 'lugging' the Mbox. Not that I disagree with the idea you have per se, just that I think that if Digidesign ever did this, it would have to be that they did it for the other systems in mind, and the Mbox got it by default.
Old 02-16-2003, 05:03 AM

That brings up an interesting idea. I wonder at what point would a plug-in manufacturer be able to sell his product cheap enough to make it not worth the trouble to crack but still eventually show a profit. Erik are you still around??
Old 02-16-2003, 05:07 AM

That brings up an interesting idea. I wonder at what point would a plug-in manufacturer be able to sell his product cheap enough to make it not worth the trouble to crack but still eventually show a profit. Like say a hundred bucks?? Erik are you still around??
Old 02-16-2003, 10:32 AM

I'm guessing that that point is unreachable. The whole idea behind pirating/cracking is that you can get it for free. People that pirate software don't want to pay anything no matter how cheap it is.

I'm sure there's some sport to it for the cracker as well, knowing that they can crack whatever security is in place.

Lowering prices would however likely entice more of the mid to lower range users that want to keep things legit to purchase.
Old 02-27-2003, 05:02 PM

Well, as a new Digidesign user... I can tell you that had I known what I know now... prior to purchase... I would not have bought my Mbox. In truth, I am seriously considering returning it.

Lemme get this straight. Digidesign makes a program you can download for FREE that I can use on any computer, but the one I actually purchased cannot? What a load! I wish I had bought something else.

I could see the software disabling recording without the attached hardware... but to completely disable the software is just rediculous.

You would think Digidesign would address this issue immediately, if not only for the goodwill with PAYING CUSTOMERS. I haven't owned the product for a day, haven't even USED it because my microphone arrives tomorrow, and I am already dissatisfied.

Sounds like we should get the address for the company president and start an email campaign.
Old 02-27-2003, 05:47 PM

Lemme get this straight. Digidesign makes a program you can download for FREE that I can use on any computer, but the one I actually purchased cannot? What a load! I wish I had bought something else.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry to hear what happened to you Jeff but if you had done some research you would see that there are Laptops & DeskTops that are Digi Approved. I owned a PC and I was interested in getting Pro Tools But My HP Pavillion 7955 was not compatible! And I thought I had a top of the line PC!! So I called Digi they helped me with the problem, I got a PowerBook w/ a M-Box and I couldnt be happier! Your mistake wasnt getting the M-Box your mistake was not having enough knowledge about the products you were gonna buy. I feel your pain man that really sucks. I cant imagine having Pro Tools In front of me and not being able to use it.
[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
OWC Mercury Elite 120GB Hard Drive
M-Box PT 6.1.2
Korg Triton
MidiSport 1x1
Event TR8 Powered Monitors
Old 02-27-2003, 05:54 PM

MAybe they can program the new I lok to let you edit with out your m dongle [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]