Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2012, 08:21 PM

Default Re: USB 3.0 for external recording drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
And Mitch Gallagher from Sweetwater has also gone the USB3 route for drives. See this Sweetwater Minute (actually longer than that) on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYybe...em-uploademail

No benchmarks or actual tracks playing though. They actually took internal SATA drives and put them in a USB3 pair of enclosures.
Very helpful video. The Channel Sales Manger from AVID talks about how incredible USB 3 is but AVID doesn't officially qualify USB 3? I wish they would just say which is the best USB 3 drive to buy.

Also, I am looking at the Non-Retina MBP but having two thunderbolt ports is interesting too with the Retina MBP.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:05 AM

*totally unrelated to topic*

Hey CalebB, I have to ask, why are you considering the switch to a MBP? I asked you about your mini server way back, and that thread was very helpful, and I've finally saved enough to get a decent machine, and here you are switching it up already, so I'm just curious why before I go pimping a mini server, as I've been planning to do.

Anyhow, not trying to derail this conversation. I've also been curious if holding out for usb 3's is worth it for external storage, since it's not offered on much, and the thunderbolt port on "my" Mini Server will likely go to a second screen.

Last edited by Jakay; 09-05-2012 at 03:11 AM. Reason: Keep this thread on track.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:42 PM

USB3 is going to be on the next generation of computer motherboards and should significantly outperform FW.

Judging from the past, I wouldn't look for Avid to "qualify" it until after there are lots more computers with it built in that they have tested. Not being "qualified" has never meant something won't work. They just aren't willing to absolutely guarantee it will.