How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2011, 10:41 AM

Default Machine Control BIG installer bug, wont start

Hi all,

just putting together a PT9 rig. We are doing audio post so I bought the Machine control option.

When I run the installer, it has a bug and installs wrongly. What I mean is that instead of installing to C:\Program Files (x86)\Digidesign\Pro Tools\ it installs into C:\Program Files (x86Digidesign\Pro Tools. Apparently a slash is missing from the code. It would be actually funny, if I could have informed Avid - but even though I registered the software on the site and uploaded it to my ilok, and the MC is supposedly coming with 90 days of complimentary support, I didnt get my support code so I cant reach Avid to tell them about the bug.

I tried manually copying the files to the designed locations, its still wont start. I would love to hear from anyone who runs this on PC. This is a clean install. I'll probably try to install a 32-bit version to see if the install path is correct there, but I'd rather go on 64bit for the RAMs.

thanks
Balazs
Old 02-04-2011, 04:34 PM

Default Re: Machine Control BIG installer bug, wont start

Can anyone tell me how should I get the complimentary support from Avid< I tried to call them, but the only way to get in was the registration problem, and the voice said I might have to hold for 30 minutes..I dont really want to do that on an international line.

I find it pretty strang that a pro company like avid has no phone support at all. The german office wont even answer the phone. The UK head office did, but the only thing the lady kept saying is that she cant help, and occasionally transferred me to sales, who didnt picked up the phone. At one point she said that `you might not belive it but there is only two of us in here`. I think thats ridiculous.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:20 AM

This start to look like a blog. But if anybody looks at this, I just note here what I tried.

-installing MC into PT9HD on W7-x64 failed because of the stupid path error. I tried manually moving the files around but no avail.
-I reinstalled MC, reinstalled PT, even dragged a tape deck to the test bench and hooked it up, hoping beyond hope that the actual contact would wake the software up (which shouldnt, really).
-I then went out for a 32-bit W7, and installed it, hoping that solving the install path problems would correct it. Guess what, the x86 install is wrong, too! It installs in the C:/Program FileDigidesign/Pro Tools/ path, missing an s and a slash. No joy.
-I tried it on my macbook pro and my mac mini, same PT9HD, same ilok, installer did run, but doesnt work. I cant even find any file the installer puts on the disk.
-I rechecked the ilok and I do have the MC license on it.
-I rechecked and the MC manual has only the PT9HD software listed as required. No hardware, no sync i/o

It seems to me that an another poster was right and MC should be right in the software. There are no installation instructions in the manual, and the splash screen does say 'initializing MC' at start even at the first run. But it would be nice to know this for sure. Anybody?
Back on calling avid..
Old 02-09-2011, 10:29 AM
Avid

You do not need to install anything for MachineControl in Pro Tools 9. As long as you have an iLok inserted with the authorization on it, it will automatically be recognized and the features unlocked.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
You do not need to install anything for MachineControl in Pro Tools 9. As long as you have an iLok inserted with the authorization on it, it will automatically be recognized and the features unlocked.
ProTools 9? or 9HD
Old 02-09-2011, 02:39 PM

I believe PT9HD only, but I also believe the HD hardware is not needed. I got a direct email and I'm communicating with them now. I'll let you guys know.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:01 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mix109 View Post
ProTools 9? or 9HD
They're the same install - one application whose features are unlocked depending on the authorizations found on the iLok.

If you have a Pro Tools 9 HD license you get all the HD features minus a few that are (currently) hardware dependent if you launch it without HD hardware attached (obviously if you DO have HD hardware attached you get all the HD features..).

If you have a Pro Tools 9 auth you get the standard feature set.

If you have a Pro Tools 9 and and a Complete Production Toolkit auth you get all the features that the CPTK auth unlocks.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:47 PM

Actually I got contacted by Avid but they said that its not gonna work.

For all:

PT9HD with no hardware is NOT booting into PT9HD, but as a PT9 with CPTK2!!! I am somewhat pissed as its said on several avid sites PT9HD can be run as a standalone software, but that is not correct, its not really a HD. So it can not use MC.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbhun View Post
PT9HD with no hardware is NOT booting into PT9HD, but as a PT9 with CPTK2!!! I am somewhat pissed as its said on several avid sites PT9HD can be run as a standalone software, but that is not correct, its not really a HD. So it can not use MC.
What do you mean by "standalone"? What are you using for an interface if not the HD hardware?

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 02-11-2011, 04:15 AM

I am actually using a MOTU traveller. Since I have 16 faders of ProControl, I only need a few mic inputs for adr/foley and about 6 outs for main/alt/studio out or a surround out.

I believe the whole point of PT9 (HD) is that it can use 3rd party hardware..