Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools SE and Essential (Win)

Old 12-13-2012, 09:19 AM

Default Pro Tools and M-Audio Interface won't work with Windows 8

Howdy there,

I have Protools Essentials and an M-Audio Fast Track interface that I bought a while ago. It worked well for me on my old Windows laptop, but that computer crashed a couple weeks ago. I bought a new computer with Windows 8, and neither my Protools nor my interface will load the drivers. Is my stuff just too outdated for Windows 8? And do you know if Avid or M-Audio is offering any kind of upgrade that would be compatible with the new operating system? Or is my software just worthless?? In any case, I'd just like to know. Thanks a lot! Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Shawn
Old 01-06-2013, 07:40 AM

Question Re: Pro Tools and M-Audio Interface won't work with Windows 8

Hi

I have a similar problem. Difference is I'm running pro tools MP9 supported by an M-Audio FASTRACK USB interface, on an HP PHOENIX 1330ea computer with Windows 8. My software won't load. Says it "...can't locate the hardware." Can't find a compatible windows 8 driver anywhere on the Avid website. Not even suggested workarounds! If anybody could help solve this issue that'd be a kindness. Got projects I need to finish on my new PC for clients...

Cheers
A
Old 01-11-2013, 03:34 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools and M-Audio Interface won't work with Windows 8

I have a Fastrack Ultra, which Windows 8 recognizes, but when I attempt to start Pro Tools MP9, Windows 8 crashes to a BSOD with an error message KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION. So, in my case, Pro Tools MP9 crashes the Windows 8 Kernel. It gets worse if you run the Pro Tools MP9 9.05 update. After that and a reboot, Windows 8 went into an endless reboot cycle that forced me to run System Restore to a date prior to me installing Pro Tools MP9.05 update. After that, attempting to start Pro Tools MP9, crashed Windows 8 every time so I hope you have another DAW available, hopefully on a Mac (Cubase. Mixcraft). If not, you've got a serious problem because AVID isn't even responding to any posts regarding Windows 8 compatibility with Pro Tools MP9. They have no intention of updating Pro Tools MP9 at this time and are likely to suggest to you the Cross Upgrade to Pro Tools 10, which is $399. I haven't seen anywhere that Pro Tools 10 is even supported on Windows 8.
Pro Tools version- Pro Tools MP 9 (Crashes Windows 8 every time)
Amount of RAM installed- 8GB
Recordings done on USB 2.0 external hard drive, 500GB.
99% disc space free.

If you listen to metal, you need to hear DARK BLU
http://darkblu.com/MEDIA.html
Old 01-12-2013, 08:36 PM

Windows 8 is not yet supported for any version of pro Tools. It would be my guess that Windows 8 support will not be offered for PT9 or earlier.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 01-13-2013, 09:23 AM

Thanks all for chiming in. I hope they come up with a reasonable solution for everyone involved in this Windows 8 mess. Being a home studio owner, I've already spent what I consider to be a substantial amount in purchasing Pro Tools MP9 and my M-Audio interface. I could consider a reasonable offer of crossgrade but $399 and I'm sure a lot of home "recordists" like myself would simply jump ship!
Old 01-13-2013, 10:19 AM

The obvious solution is to downgrade to Windows 7, next time check what is supported before you purchase a PC or OS upgrade.

I would not wait for Avid, if you need something in the consumer/prosumer space that is better supported there are lots of choices out there. Avid are trying to dig themselves out of a failed consumer business. They sold off most if their consumer products to InMusic. It is not clear if the FastTrack (which InMusic did not acquire) will continue as a product or not. If you want to stick with Pro Tools (esp. If you need compatibility with others and pro studios etc.) then pay up and get onto Pro Tools 10 as Avid is making effort with that to fix bugs and support new OS releases. For all products hang on until after NAMM to see if there are any new announcements.

Darryl
Old 01-13-2013, 11:20 AM

Thanks Darryl. I'll keep those thoughts in mind...

Just though I'd come back and post and update if anyone else was having an issue with Pro Tools not "...finding their USB interface." I installed the Fast_Track drivers Version 6.0.6 from this link and my software now loads and plays OK alongside the hardware on windows 8.

Hope this works for you too.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Avid are trying to dig themselves out of a failed consumer business. They sold off most if their consumer products to InMusic. It is not clear if the FastTrack (which InMusic did not acquire) will continue as a product or not.
Darryl
I agree with your comments but still feel abandoned. I switched from a Native Instruments interface to an M-Audio fast track ultra a couple of years back because I thought Avid would give better support. What a fool I was. No new windows drivers for nearly two years. What i don't understand was why did Avid keep the Fast track ultra in the sale if they don't want it ? Or is it they just want to abandon windows users because most protools users are on Macs ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
If you want to stick with Pro Tools (esp. If you need compatibility with others and pro studios etc.) then pay up and get onto Pro Tools 10
I upgraded each release from 5 through 9 but now I've stopped. I wouldn't advise any home user to go to protools 10. I think 11 will be a whole new strategy and could easily abandon hardware and software platforms whatever the roadmap says. Avid also seem to be moving back to "professional" pricing - fewer but more discerning users - charge more money. If you are a home user considering protools wait for 11 and see what the packaged synth and effect bundles, licensing and hardware support look like and consider learning something else.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:08 AM

Yes but if folks need to get stuff working now they cannot wait until Pro Tools 11. There are also perfectly good DAW options from lots of other providers if you do not need Pro Tools compatibility.

Darryl
Old 01-02-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amafru View Post
Thanks Darryl. I'll keep those thoughts in mind...

Just though I'd come back and post and update if anyone else was having an issue with Pro Tools not "...finding their USB interface." I installed the Fast_Track drivers Version 6.0.6 from this link and my software now loads and plays OK alongside the hardware on windows 8.

Hope this works for you too.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxHi what link is that?xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx