Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2013, 01:45 AM

Default Noise when playing back at half speed.

For some reason I'm getting crackles and pops from my VI channel when playing back at half speed in PT11. I can't really hear it on my drums channel but it gets pretty loud on VIs with longer sustains like the Mini Grand.

If I play it back at half speed on PT10 everything's fine.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 09-28-2013, 04:50 AM

Default Re: Noise when playing back at half speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarbear066 View Post
For some reason I'm getting crackles and pops from my VI channel when playing back at half speed in PT11. I can't really hear it on my drums channel but it gets pretty loud on VIs with longer sustains like the Mini Grand.

If I play it back at half speed on PT10 everything's fine.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Which interface are you using when you do this? If you're using aggregate then try a single interface and see what happens. Also try a different cable between the computer and interface you're using. It's also possible if you're bus powering the MOTU's you might not have enough current drive in the USB of FW ports.

QAPLA!
Old 09-28-2013, 11:41 AM

Yes, can recreate on a number of systems, aggregate, single device, built in and external interfaces. Maybe post a bug report to idea scale?
Mix Tech/Assistant Sound Editor
Old 09-28-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C View Post
Yes, can recreate on a number of systems, aggregate, single device, built in and external interfaces. Maybe post a bug report to idea scale?
I don't think Avid pays attention to bug reports on Ideascale.
Was actually asking the op as he lists multiple audio interfaces in his sig file.

QAPLA!
Old 09-28-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I don't think Avid pays attention to bug reports on Ideascale..
They do, along with the forums and crash logs. How they prioritize them remains a mystery.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 09-28-2013, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Which interface are you using when you do this? If you're using aggregate then try a single interface and see what happens. Also try a different cable between the computer and interface you're using. It's also possible if you're bus powering the MOTU's you might not have enough current drive in the USB of FW ports.

I guess my sig was a bit misleading.

The setup I use when I get the error is this. MacPro to MOTU Track 16 by FW, Track 16 to Yamaha O2R by 4 analog and 1 ADAT cable (@24bit so I can only use 4 channels.) 8 outputs in total to O2R. I have tried every output with the same results. I don't use bus power for Track 16 and I have yet to try a different FW cable. Everything I tried below is at 48K 24bit, buffer size everything between 32 and 1024 samples. "Ignore Errors During Playback/Record" is checked off.

Everything works fine until I playback at half speed. Once it starts to crackle an pop and I stop PT playback, it will still keep crackling when I play the VIs in real time. If I playback in normal time, the crackling will stop and act normally until I playback in half time again. If I change the VI (say from Mini Grand to Xpand) after the crackling starts and play Xpand in real time, the crackling will still be there. The only way to reset it is to playback in normal time. I tried the same thing with VEPro (both 32 and 64 bit) and got the same results. I don't get any errors when I halve the BPM, only when I play at half speed.

Also, it doesn't seem to matter if the session file is made on PT10 or 11. It works fine on PT10 but not on 11.

It doesn't affect my workflow too much because I don't use half speed playback so much but its a glitch I noticed and was wondering if anyone else had it too or just me?
Old 09-29-2013, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarbear066 View Post
I guess my sig was a bit misleading.

The setup I use when I get the error is this. MacPro to MOTU Track 16 by FW, Track 16 to Yamaha O2R by 4 analog and 1 ADAT cable (@24bit so I can only use 4 channels.) 8 outputs in total to O2R. I have tried every output with the same results. I don't use bus power for Track 16 and I have yet to try a different FW cable. Everything I tried below is at 48K 24bit, buffer size everything between 32 and 1024 samples. "Ignore Errors During Playback/Record" is checked off.

Everything works fine until I playback at half speed. Once it starts to crackle an pop and I stop PT playback, it will still keep crackling when I play the VIs in real time. If I playback in normal time, the crackling will stop and act normally until I playback in half time again. If I change the VI (say from Mini Grand to Xpand) after the crackling starts and play Xpand in real time, the crackling will still be there. The only way to reset it is to playback in normal time. I tried the same thing with VEPro (both 32 and 64 bit) and got the same results. I don't get any errors when I halve the BPM, only when I play at half speed.

Also, it doesn't seem to matter if the session file is made on PT10 or 11. It works fine on PT10 but not on 11.

It doesn't affect my workflow too much because I don't use half speed playback so much but its a glitch I noticed and was wondering if anyone else had it too or just me?
Thanks for the explanation - should have been in the original post. Clarify one thing for me: when you say 'ignore errors during playback/record' is checked off do you mean the box is checked or unchecked? It should be unchecked and your pops and clicks might go away.

Also - do try different cables not just between the computer and MOTU but MOTU to 02R. Also make sure any clocking is set correctly.

QAPLA!
Old 09-29-2013, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation - should have been in the original post. Clarify one thing for me: when you say 'ignore errors during playback/record' is checked off do you mean the box is checked or unchecked? It should be unchecked and your pops and clicks might go away.

Also - do try different cables not just between the computer and MOTU but MOTU to 02R. Also make sure any clocking is set correctly.
I have now tried a different FW cable between my Mac and MOTU with the same symptoms. Its just too troublesome for me to change the cables between MOTU and O2R but as I've said before I've tried all 8 outputs (4 ADAT optical and 4 analog). Wordclock setup is correct as far as I can tell and everything works flawlessly on DP7, Logic X and PT10. PT11 works fine too just as long as I don't playback half time. 'ignore errors during playback/record' is unchecked.

I did some more experimenting and found that the drum VI had the same symptoms if I listen hard enough. Audio files (both imported and recorded on PT ) also crackle at half time. I also tried half time recording but when I play it back it sounds so weird anyways so I can't tell if its crackling or not.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:56 PM

After some more experimenting I decided to take MOTU and O2R out of the equation and go analog. I played back at half speed through my internal speakers and headphone outputs on both my MacPro and MacBookPro and found the same crackles and pops on ALL of my VIs including Sound Generator and audio channels. For some reason I couldn't here it on my click track.

I'm pretty sure that its a PT or Mac problem and not an audio interface one. I'm just surprised that no one else has this problem.

Pro Tools 11.0.2.626
Old 09-30-2013, 09:28 PM

As I said. Yes, can recreate on a NUMBER of systems. This is NOT your issue, this is something that needs to be fixed but nothing you can do about it.
Mix Tech/Assistant Sound Editor