Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2020, 05:38 AM

Default Switching form Adobe Audition to Pro Tools to speed up workflow

I currently use Abobe Audition and have downloaded the trial of PT. I had PT ver 8 back in the day but never transitioned over. I ONLY record VO, so have only had the need for one track. I have streamlined my process in Audition over the years and have 4 initial questions.

1. Is there a way to insert exactly 1 second of silence before the audio and 2 seconds after audio (after I've recorded and edited and before I bounce)? I have a high volume client that requires this daily (think 10 times a day) If this can be automated before or after export, even better.

2. What is the best time stretch for vocals. I noticed a few different options (more than there was in 8). I use Cubase 10.5 for that exclusively because it is flawless (no artifacts) and may keep using this, so it's not a huge deal if there is no solution for this one. BUT if I could time stretch a track (without changing pitch) for smaller adjustments here and there, it would speed me up!

3. I use the spectral display to edit out pops and clicks (by hand) in Audition. Is there good plug in an automated way to handle these in PT?

4. Can you zoom in and out of track w/mouse wheel WITHOUT using the option modifier key?

I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR TIME! Thanks!
Old 02-01-2020, 09:47 AM

Default Re: Switching form Adobe Audition to Pro Tools to speed up workflow

1)- Several ways. The easiest probably being to just consolidate the track and move it back one sec on the timeline and then consolidate again, making sure to highlight 2sec past the end. Or you could always just have dummy clips that are 1 sec and 2 sec, and just throw 'em on the timeline at the ends.
I don't know that you can automate that kind of thing.

2)-Avid's TC/E is easily the best stretch algo I've found for spoken word. It's damn near transparent, assuming you're not getting crazy with it. I'm also a fan of X-Form, from time to time.

3)- iZotope RX. Just go ahead and buy it, if you haven't already. I couldn't live without it, for post and voice work.

4)- Don't think so, but I'm not sure I'd want to. If the mouse wheel were set up to zoom in/out on a region, you'd lose the regular scroll functionality, which would be kind of crazy. (Unless I'm misunderstanding you here...)

I find PT invaluable for VO, as it lets me audition and comp different takes together with ease, and even produce whole spots, for the times when the client asks for that. YMMV.

Cheers
RTX 2080ti
64GB DDR5 5200mhz RAM
2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB SSDs
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD
LG 34" Ultra-Widescreen monitor
Pro Tools 12.4
A loaf of bread
A stick of butter
A lot of rye whiskey
Old 02-01-2020, 10:26 AM

RX 7's De-Click and Playlist comping. That and Nudge I use all the time for spots and QC.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 02-01-2020, 02:11 PM

Truthfully I think you should stick with Audition (if the annual subs aren't an issue... there again they sort of are with PT as well). If you only do voiceover records on a single track, there's pretty much zero to be gained in PT. None of the time stretch options are close to being as good as Radius in Audition (also used in iZotope RX). You are missing the noise reduction and spectral tools of Audition as well.

IMO you'd be better off investing in RX than PT. It does have automated tools to remove clicks, pops etc and if you are careful they can save you hours.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 02-01-2020, 04:00 PM

If you only ever just record and edit 1 voice track, this ^^^^.

If you're doing commercial production for radio and TV and producing them with music and sound effects, then either will do, but for production, I prefer Pro Tools because of Nudge and Playlists and the fact I've been using PT since 2001.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 02-02-2020, 04:36 AM

Very helpful tips and advice. For me it all comes down to speed, so I will test both starting Monday and see what happens! Def seems like more hoops to jump through for simple one track recordings in PT. Multi track would be a diff story.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:12 AM

I haven't tried radius in a while. Pretty impressed. I sped up a 60 second commercial 10 seconds! AND - only a few artifacts. This was a test only. The same file in Cusbase was flawless. BUT for shorter stuff, under a few seconds it works great. What settings are you using? I un-clicked Vocoder, solo and preserve in the advanced settings and got better results but I'm testing now....
Old 02-03-2020, 09:06 AM

You might also ask these q's in Reaper's forum. I use it here n there mostly for MIDI/VIs. But it does have spectral editing built-in. And you can customize all the key commands, mod keys and mouse behaviors. (By default, horizontal zoom is handled by mouse wheel.)

Though if you already have something that works for you, I don't see the point in either spending lots of dough on PT or climbing a new DAW's learning curve.
Old 02-04-2020, 12:50 PM

Thanks!!! Yeah - Every few years or so, I reevaluate software to see if I can go even FASTER! Sometimes it proves to be fruitful, others not so much!
Old 02-05-2020, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billysurf View Post
1. Is there a way to insert exactly 1 second of silence before the audio and 2 seconds after audio (after I've recorded and edited and before I bounce)? I have a high volume client that requires this daily (think 10 times a day) If this can be automated before or after export, even better.

2. What is the best time stretch for vocals. I noticed a few different options (more than there was in 8). I use Cubase 10.5 for that exclusively because it is flawless (no artifacts) and may keep using this, so it's not a huge deal if there is no solution for this one. BUT if I could time stretch a track (without changing pitch) for smaller adjustments here and there, it would speed me up!
1. Set your pre roll to 1 second and your post roll to 2 seconds.
Record out your program to a new track with QuickPunch selected.
When you have played out your mix, select your new clip and hit control + command T (Trim to File Boundaries) and your clip will trim out to the boundaries of your pre/post roll.

2. Totally agree with leftalive. TC/E is perfect for this. Select it in Setup/Preferences/Processing/TC/E.

And yeah, think about getting RX. Elements version should suffice.

Good luck!
5,1 Mac Pro, 3.46 GHz Six Core Xeon, 48gb ram, Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.6, HD Native card, Avid 192io interface, Avid 96io, Intensity Pro video card, Radeon HD 7950 graphics card, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.7.