Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 08-30-2020, 03:57 PM

Default Re: i7 Builds - Specs and Results

Components should all be here tomorrow...

Specs:

ASUS WS x299 SAGE 10g
Intel i9-10980xe
Noctua NH-C14S
Patriot Viper Steel Series DDR4 64GB (4 x 16GB) 3200MHz
Samsung 860 EVO 1TB OS drive

Believe it or not, this build will be housed in an Antec rack mount case I purchased back in '99 for my first ProTools build and have been using ever since (!!)

Repurposing my existing hdd spinners for audio (500GB) and storage (4TB) as well as my Matrox C420 video card.

This will be a busy week! Wish me luck...
Intel i9-10980xe
64 GB DDR4 3200 RAM
Matrox C420
Avid Artist Mix

Last edited by beggehorn; 08-30-2020 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-03-2020, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beggehorn View Post
Components should all be here tomorrow...

Specs:

ASUS WS x299 SAGE 10g
Intel i9-10980xe
Noctua NH-C14S
Patriot Viper Steel Series DDR4 64GB (4 x 16GB) 3200MHz
Samsung 860 EVO 1TB OS drive

Believe it or not, this build will be housed in an Antec rack mount case I purchased back in '99 for my first ProTools build and have been using ever since (!!)

Repurposing my existing hdd spinners for audio (500GB) and storage (4TB) as well as my Matrox C420 video card.

This will be a busy week! Wish me luck...
Wow super fast. We need to compare
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 09-03-2020, 09:28 PM

Hey Brandon!

For sure! Will be chipping away at all the installs and config for the rest of the week.

Issues so far:

- Long POST time (?). I'm not seeing any errors at all but there seems to be some self tests the MOBO goes through each time I startup/restart that takes at least 30 seconds before Windows starts to load. I've dug around the BIOS and disabled everything I thought might help but no change...Windows loading only takes about 12 seconds from Win logo to when the log-in screen appears... but even that surprises me.

- For some reason I had to move my Storage HDD from SATA port 1/2 to 3/4 (not sure which is which top to bottom) as the OS SSD that shared ports 1/2 was not running at 6Gps until I did.

- I have four unknown devices in device manager named "Performance Counters". I found only a couple recent references to that issue online. I had already installed the latest BIOS and chipset .inf before anything else. Not sure what this is or how it might affect things but certainly want to get it sorted.

- I'm also *slightly* concerned I might not have adequate cooling at the moment. The CPU is about 62C (package temp) with no load (@ stock 3.00 GHz CPU speed) at roughly 75-80F room temp (CPU fan speed in "Standard" mode). If I take the lid off the rack mount case, temp drops to about 56C. Aside from the Noctua CPU cooler, I have (2) Noctua 120mm case fans. However these fans are non-PWN (no speed control) and are designed for quiet operation. They run at about 1100 rpm and are super quiet but I'll probably need to replace those with PWM fans that I can set at a bit higher speed. Also considering changing adding a second fan to the top of the CPU cooler (its a design option of the cooler) though it would need to be a slim profile one (only have 1 1/2" of vertical clearance). I'll need to chat with Noctua and see if they recommend that configuration.

Probably won't even fire up Pro Tools until the weekend...
Intel i9-10980xe
64 GB DDR4 3200 RAM
Matrox C420
Avid Artist Mix

Last edited by beggehorn; 09-04-2020 at 02:17 AM.
Old 09-04-2020, 08:55 AM

I just upgraded my computers for the third and last time - I can't go any farther with the current configuration. I upped the RAM to 32 GB, added Samsung Evo 970 Plus NVMe M.2 drives in Vantec adapters with thermal tape and heatsinks and removed the Samsung Evo 850 SSDs and Western Digital Caviar Black internal drives and am using WD Passport 5 TB externals for backup. My temps for the CPU - Intel 4700K - and internal drives rarely go above 40 Celsius, normally 34 to 38 Celsius. Noctua CPU cooler with original almost 7 year old paste. Inside the case is almost dust free. I clean the screens monthly and have only had the interior "blasted" once and that was this year.

The original video card is fanless - Asus NVidia GT640. The case is a Silverstone Fortress which mounts the motherboard vertically. With an opening along the bottom of the case, the three 180 mm fans at the bottom draw air in and the 120 mm top fan draws it over the motherboard and its components. Not totally silent, but very cool.

Before you replace the fans, check out Corsair's Commander Pro fan controller. You may not have to replace those fans.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 09-04-2020, 10:02 AM

^^^ Nice.^^^

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 09-04-2020, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
I just upgraded my computers for the third and last time - I can't go any farther with the current configuration. I upped the RAM to 32 GB, added Samsung Evo 970 Plus NVMe M.2 drives in Vantec adapters with thermal tape and heatsinks and removed the Samsung Evo 850 SSDs and Western Digital Caviar Black internal drives and am using WD Passport 5 TB externals for backup. My temps for the CPU - Intel 4700K - and internal drives rarely go above 40 Celsius, normally 34 to 38 Celsius. Noctua CPU cooler with original almost 7 year old paste. Inside the case is almost dust free. I clean the screens monthly and have only had the interior "blasted" once and that was this year.

The original video card is fanless - Asus NVidia GT640. The case is a Silverstone Fortress which mounts the motherboard vertically. With an opening along the bottom of the case, the three 180 mm fans at the bottom draw air in and the 120 mm top fan draws it over the motherboard and its components. Not totally silent, but very cool.

Before you replace the fans, check out Corsair's Commander Pro fan controller. You may not have to replace those fans.
Thanks for the tip, Bruce. Looking into that..
Intel i9-10980xe
64 GB DDR4 3200 RAM
Matrox C420
Avid Artist Mix
Old 09-23-2020, 09:14 AM

Just wanted to update the thread with where I ended up...

I went ahead and replaced my rack mount PC case's front fans with a pair of Noctua NF-A12x25 (PWM) fans. The extra air flow through the case brought down my CPU temps by 5+ degrees. With my CPU fans and case fans on maximum speed, my CPU never gets above 60 degrees now (even after a day of mixing a heavy session) and the fans are amazingly quiet.

I'm super happy with the new build. Still working with my template to refine the best way to avoid loading my middle cores but this is with me being super spoiled. I currently have multiple Acustica plugins, Elevate and a couple other beastly plug-ins all running on the 2 bus and I'm easily running at a HW buffer of 512. If I go to 1024, I exceed my maximum delay comp so hopefully with some load balancing (moving some of the 2 bus duties to by sub-mix busses) I'll find the sweet spot.

It is a breath of fresh air to mix without running into the inevitable need of committing/freezing while I'm trying to flow. Game changing upgrade for me!
Intel i9-10980xe
64 GB DDR4 3200 RAM
Matrox C420
Avid Artist Mix
Old 09-27-2020, 06:03 AM

Hey Ben
Why are you running at 512? Can you run at lower hardware samples? I can't really run my threadripper at anything less than 256 but 512 is the best hardware buffer. I was hoping you would be able to run at a much lower buffer.

Curious if you are getting better perfoance with hyperthreading off. I don't think tools will use all the cores so might as well make each core as fast as possible..
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 09-28-2020, 08:50 PM

Believe it or not, I overload the middle core due to the plug-ins on my 2 bus if I go lower than 512 (primarily CPU hungry Acustica products). I'm still working on experimenting with moving some of the load to parallel sub-busses. While my middle core overloads, the rest are very low percentage. If I run more traditional plug-ins, I can definitely run at a lower buffer, however there's some magic with these plug-ins that is hard to beat.
Intel i9-10980xe
64 GB DDR4 3200 RAM
Matrox C420
Avid Artist Mix
Old 09-29-2020, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonx1 View Post
Hey Ben
Why are you running at 512? Can you run at lower hardware samples? I can't really run my threadripper at anything less than 256 but 512 is the best hardware buffer. I was hoping you would be able to run at a much lower buffer.

Curious if you are getting better perfoance with hyperthreading off. I don't think tools will use all the cores so might as well make each core as fast as possible..
Most of the HDX users I know will use higher buffer settings, but the way latency works is very different on HDX. As for hyperthreading, that's something that should be tried both ways as every system can be slightly different. Even with identical hardware, some odd piece of software can make things change. For Windows, users, its a quick trip thru BIOS or EUFI to change one setting.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave