Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 09-28-2020, 02:38 PM

Default PT1 not tracking MIDI instruments correctly

I am trying to get my bandmates working on PT1 so we can make a record. I have the keyboard player using a new Focusrite Scarlett 212 with a Windows 10 machine.

When a MIDI keyboard is plugged in with an AIR instrument it plays 6-10 notes fine and then quits tracking the keyboard. It sustains the last note played. Then the next batch of notes you played get sounded all at one time - like you were pounding the keyboard with your forearms.

After a short rest, it will play another 6-10 notes correctly, then freeze, then repeat the cycle.
Old 09-28-2020, 07:32 PM

Default Re: PT1 not tracking MIDI instruments correctly

Impossible to offer much advice with nearly zero detail about the setup What keyboard and how is it connected? Is it configured in the Midi Studio setup window? Is your friend recording to a stereo instrument track, or using separate tracks for midi?(for most VI recording, inserting the VI plugin in the top insert on a stereo instrument track is the simplest and desirable way). Read the Help Us Help You thread(near the top of this and every DUC page) and come back with info as described there. Its not possible to include too much detail

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-28-2020, 07:36 PM

... and as always, double-check that you have a supported OS/PT combination
Old 10-03-2020, 08:05 PM

Thanks for the responses.

I am trying to make a record with my band in the Covid times. We are old and don’t want to be infected, so are avoiding being in the same room. I am the Pro Tools guy in the band and decided I would set the other band members up with Pro Tools First and let them overdub. They have minimal Pro Tools/tech skills at best. So far it has been mostly problematic – spend way more time trying to make 4 pro tools systems work than playing music.

The details:
1. My main machine I create the files on in a pretty new fast Windows 10 machine I built about a year ago, running ProTools 2020. It has 32 gigs of ram. Works great! It is the machine that holds the master Avid Cloud annual storage account.
2. I create the sessions for my band to overdub to - all 24-48 and then save them as projects. When I made them 16-44.1, my bass player's PT1 would play them at 24-48, which did not work of course and we were not able to resolve the problem (I posted it to the DUC and received no responses). Spent hours trying to solve that, gave up and chose what would work for the bass player, make everything 24-48. It works for everyone else too. Move on.
3. For the Keyboard player I bought a used HP laptop HP 6470b with intel 5 processor and 32 GB ram. As this is the problem computer I will fill out the details on this computer.
4. Computer model and processor speed HP Probook 6470b Intel Core i5-3210m cpu @2.50 Ghz, 16 GB Ram 64 bit operating system
5. OS version Windows 10 Pro
6. Avid hardware model – there is no Avid hardware – interface is a Focusrite Scarlett 212 USB interface. The Focusrite has no MIDI instrument input – the MIDI keyboard comes into a USB port on the HP. You can play MIDI in PT1 with no interface attached.
7. Pro Tools version: PT1 2019.6 Win I also tried installing 2020.9 Win, but uninstalled it and reinstalled the earlier version. It worked for a day after that.
8. Amount of Memory installed: 16 GB Ram
9. A complete and precise description of any attached peripherals.
a) Focusrite Scarlett 212 USB interface. Attached with 3 foot USB cable that came with it.
b) $10 insignia wireless mouse. Dongle goes to a USB port.
c) MIDI keyboards. I have tried 4 different keyboards so far. An M-Audio 88 key, and M-Audio 49 key, an Akai LPK 25 and an old Kurzweil. The all get the same results. Multiple MIDI cables. Same results.
10. Number and type (firewire, SATA, SCSI, etc) of drives installed, how they're formatted and which one(s) you're using for recording and playback.
There is one 120 gig SATA SSD hard-dive installed, NTFS. It has 65 GB of available space. I am trying not to store local PT files here. All the sessions being worked on are in the AVID cloud on the account for the main Pro Tools 2020 machine.
11. A concise list of the troubleshooting you've already tried - please be as specific as possible!
A) I reviewed the Set Up and Trouble Shooting page and could not find anything in there specific to Windows 10 or Pro Tools First.
b) I installed the original 2019 version of PT1 on the computer, bought the PT1 instrument package with Boom, DB33, etc. had it working. Then it quit tracking the MIDI keyboard properly – it would play a few notes properly, then hold the last note keyed and not play any new notes for a few seconds. It would then play a single hit of all the notes played when it was frozen and then track properly for another 6- 10 seconds. Then repeat the same process over and over.

c) Upgraded the laptop to the new 2020 PT1 - problem continued. Uninstalled it all, went back to the 2019 version and it worked for a day. – you could track MIDI notes normally. Gave it back to the keyboard player. He took it home and it went back to the "play a few notes and freeze" mode.

d) Have tried using all three USB ports in the Laptop. I have used the 4 keyboards described above. I have used a variety of cable – same results as when the keyboard player had it – play some notes and freeze.

e) I created a new project on the laptop, the MIDI keyboard tracked perfectly. There were no tracks beside the keyboard. After successfully creating project, I went back to an earlier project from the cloud that would not track properly – same result, play some notes and freeze. There are no error messages or anything like that. However, I just opened the new Project back up and it no longer works properly. It plays a few notes and then freezes up – just like the other Projects.

f) I have Sandra generating a report on the laptop. It has been at least 30 minutes at this point and I am suspecting it is not working. However it says it “takes some time”. When I get a report I will attach it.

g) I have paid for 2 Avid support tickets to try to get my 4 PT systems working. The first one was tied to the main machine that I ended up upgrading from PT 2018 to PT 2020. My drummer now has my old computer with PT 2018 and it works robustly. The second ticket was for the laptop - they told me there was no tech support for PT1 and I was on my own. My first PT support guy kindly refunded the money for the second ticket when I emailed him about it.

12. Your other questions: What keyboard and how is it connected?
a) As listed above – 4 different keyboard – 3 connect via USB to a USB input. The old Kurzweil has a MIDI adapter that allows it to connect to a USB port

13. Is it configured in the Midi Studio setup window?
a) There is nothing listed under MIDI Studio Setup. The keyboard is listed under MIDI Input Devices. I must say, I have never done anything to configure a keyboard in PTools in the last 12 years. I just plug it in and it works. When it doesn’t work once in a while, I reboot, let it recognize the keyboard and it works. That is what happened in the laptop right now if it is a new Pro Tools Project created on the laptop (not created on my main Pro Tools machine and shared). Plug it in, pick an Air Instrument and play music. Unfortunately, if you close it and reopen, it no longer works.

14. Is your friend recording to a stereo instrument track, or using separate tracks for midi?(for most VI recording, inserting the VI plugin in the top insert on a stereo instrument track is the simplest and desirable way).
a) My friend is not doing anything. When I record him remotely I run his computer using Teamviewer. When I bring it back to my house I do it all myself. So, I know exactly how it is done at all times.
b) In this case, I am only using the AIR plugins for PT1 that I bought from Avid. They are being recorded on a stereo instrument track in the top insert. This is the exact same way I have done it on my full Pro Tools for 12 years.

I have currently given up on trying to track the keyboard player remotely on the HP and have him sitting in my driveway on a 20’ MIDI cable and recording into my main Pro Tools computer – works grand! However, winter is coming and he won’t want to sit outside in the cold.
Old 10-06-2020, 10:06 AM

Here is the Sandra data:
SiSoftware Sandra

ID
Host Name : DESKTOP-4PCI67F
Workgroup : WORKGROUP

Computer
Model : HP ProBook 6470b 103C_5336AN G=N L=BUS B=HP S=PRO
Serial Number : CNU23*****
Chassis : HP Notebook
Mainboard : HP 179C
Serial Number : PCWHH00*******
BIOS : HP 68ICE Ver. F.42 05/20/2013
TPM - Trusted Platform Module : IFX 1.2 (PCR 24)
Intel vPro : 8.0.10.1464
Total Memory : 16GB DDR3 SO-DIMM

Processors
Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz (2C 4T 2.5GHz/3.1GHz, 2.5GHz IMC, 2x 256kB L2, 3MB L3)
Socket/Slot : FC BGA1023

Chipset
Memory Controller : HP Core3M (Ivy Bridge-M) Mobile DRAM Controller 100MHz, 2x 8GB DDR3 SO-DIMM 1.6GHz 128-bit, Integrated Graphics

Memory Module(s)
Memory Module : Samsung M471B1G73QH0-YK0 8GB DDR3 SO-DIMM 2Rx8 PC3-12800SO DDR3-1600 (11-11-11-29 5-40-13-6)
Memory Module : Samsung M471B1G73QH0-YK0 8GB DDR3 SO-DIMM 2Rx8 PC3-12800SO DDR3-1600 (11-11-11-29 5-40-13-6)

Video System
Monitor/Panel : ChiMei Generic PnP Monitor (1600x1200, 13.9")
Video Adapter : Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 (128S 16C SM5.0 350MHz/1.1GHz, 320kB L2, 32MB DDR3 1.6GHz 128-bit, Integrated Graphics)

Graphics Processor
OpenCL : Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 (128S 16C SM1.2 350MHz/1.1GHz, 2MB L2, 1.4GB DDR3 1.6GHz 128-bit, Integrated Graphics)
D3D 11 : Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 (128S 16C SM11.0 350MHz/1.1GHz, 320kB L2, 64MB DDR3 1.6GHz 128-bit, Integrated Graphics)

Storage Devices
Disk : SATA SSD (120GB, SATA600, 2.5", SSD)
Optical : hp DVD A DS8A8SH (SATA150, DVD+-RW, CD-RW)

Logical Storage Devices
System Reserved : 50MB (NTFS, 4kB) @ SATA SSD (120GB, SATA600, 2.5", SSD)
Hard Disk (C:) : 111GB (NTFS, 4kB) @ SATA SSD (120GB, SATA600, 2.5", SSD)
Hard Disk : 505MB (NTFS, 4kB) @ SATA SSD (120GB, SATA600, 2.5", SSD)
Optical Drive (D:) : N/A @ hp DVD A DS8A8SH (SATA150, DVD+-RW, CD-RW)

Peripherals
LPC Hub Controller #1 : HP Panther Point LPC Controller
LPC Legacy Controller #1 : T1 07-01
Audio Device : HP Panther Point High Definition Audio Controller
Audio Codec : Integrated Device Tech 7605
Parallel Port(s) : 1
Disk Controller : HP Panther Point Mobile 6 port SATA AHCI Controller
Disk Controller : HP Standard SD Host Controller
USB Controller #1 : HP Panther Point USB xHCI Host Controller
USB Controller #2 : HP Panther Point USB Enhanced Host Controller #2
USB Controller #3 : HP Panther Point USB Enhanced Host Controller #1
SMBus/i2c Controller #1 : Intel ICH SMBus

Printers and Faxes
Printer : Microsoft Software Printer Driver (300x300, Colour)
Printer : Microsoft XPS Document Writer v4 (600x600, Colour)
Printer : Microsoft Print To PDF (600x600, Colour)
Fax : Microsoft Shared Fax Driver (200x200)

Biometrics
Voice : Analog NUI Voice Virtual Sensor (Voice)
Fingerprint Swipe : Validity Fingerprint Sensor (Fingerprint Swipe)

Network Services
Network Adapter : Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection (Ethernet)
Network Adapter : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network) (Ethernet)
Wireless Adapter : Broadcom BCM943228HM4L 802.11a/b/g/n 2x2 WiFi Adapter (802.11n (HT), AES-CCMP, 144Mbps / 222Mbps)
Battery #2 : Hewlett-Packard Primary 65.63Wh/5.42Ah

Operating System
Windows System : Microsoft Windows 10 Professional 10.0.19041
Platform Compliance : x64
Old 10-06-2020, 12:01 PM

Update: Ran through every System optimization for windows I could find and updated every driver I could find. There is an improved performance. The MIDI keyboards are recording successfully. However, if one is simply auditioning in record ready and not actually recording the tracking problem persists. Half way fixed.
Old 10-08-2020, 11:33 AM

Hmmm, So the keyboard player is trying to record to a project in the cloud? Maybe that's issue. Instead of cloud-based, try recording midi to a session on the laptop SSD. If that works good, then at least you have a work-around. A 120GB SSD is really small and I would recommend changing that out to a 500GB or 1TB(use data migration software to copy the 120GB drive onto the new drive, then swap them out).

Which VI plugins? Some are resource hogs an will drag an i5 to its knees(like KeyScape, for example).

As for the keyboards, I would stick to only 1 until you get things working better. Having said that(and I would probably use the 88), have you set it up in the Midi Studio setup window? AFAIK, that is crucial for proper operation(for me, stuff never worked at all until it was configured properly). In Pro Tools, go to Setup>Midi>Midi Studio. In that new window, create an "instrument" and name it. The next 2 dropdown menus for brand and model are not required. The Input Path is the crucial setting and probably would look like "MAudio 88 on USB[Emulated]" or something like that(assuming it connects via a USB cable). Probably can leave all 16 midi channels selected, but maybe for the sake of troubleshooting, only select channel 1 and see if that makes any difference

In the old days(like Pro Tools 8 or 9), some things were often show stoppers, like using wifi, Bluetooth and using a PC with integrated graphics(which this laptop uses), but these days, those requirements are not as important. Just something to be aware of in troubleshooting. You also might take one of the keyboards home and connect to your rig and see how it works there That's all I can come up with for now

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave