Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 08-03-2020, 04:29 PM

Default Forcing the cursor to start at the beginning of the song during playback

I am looking all over the place and I can't seem to find a simple, straight answer to this simple question:

"Is there a way to force the cursor to jump back to the very beginning of the song during playback?"

Please don't give me a complicated lecture about cursor placement and all that stuff. I'm new at this and each time I attempt to manually place the cursor at the beginning of the song, it's not really the ("beginning") of the song - it's a few notes in. Apparently, to get the beginning of the song, I have to zoom in several times to truly place the cursor at the very beginning of the song. (which is a pain in the butt). Surely there is a simple ways to make the stupid thing start at the very beginning of the song?
Old 08-03-2020, 04:35 PM

Default Re: Forcing the cursor to start at the beginning of the song during playback

Unless your song starts somewhere after the session's start time... Return To Zero button -or- press [Return] on Mac or [Enter] on Windows.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-08-03 at 4.33.19 PM.jpg (42.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-03-2020, 05:38 PM

Default Re: Forcing the cursor to start at the beginning of the song during playback

Drop markers and learn about the quick locate function. For me, I drop markers at the following locations for 99% of music recordings:
1-count-in
2-Song start
3-V1(verse 1)
4-Pre1(pre-chorus)
5-C1(first chorus
6-TA(turn around or tag)
etc, etc. If you're not using markers....
Then there's "Insertion follows Playback"(with keyboard focus enabled), the N key toggles this function. 1 way, playback starts from where you last stopped. The other way, playback starts from the previous start time. So, if you started at the song start, as long as you don't click in the timeline, which moves the cursor, playback will keep starting at the song start.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-04-2020, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
Unless your song starts somewhere after the session's start time... Return To Zero button -or- press [Return] on Mac or [Enter] on Windows.
Hey Jeffro,

I just want you to know that I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I'll definitely give it a go. As I'm figuring things out, I'm writing little inserting little clips and writing little MIDI parts in the first few bars, then dragging and copying them over to other bars down the time-line. This means I'm having to get the song to start from the very beginning over and over and its frustrating to have to zoom in every darn time to make certain it starts at the very beginning.
Old 08-04-2020, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Drop markers and learn about the quick locate function. For me, I drop markers at the following locations for 99% of music recordings:
1-count-in
2-Song start
3-V1(verse 1)
4-Pre1(pre-chorus)
5-C1(first chorus
6-TA(turn around or tag)
etc, etc. If you're not using markers....
Then there's "Insertion follows Playback"(with keyboard focus enabled), the N key toggles this function. 1 way, playback starts from where you last stopped. The other way, playback starts from the previous start time. So, if you started at the song start, as long as you don't click in the timeline, which moves the cursor, playback will keep starting at the song start.
Thanks for your response. This sounds like another thing I'd have to watch a video on and. take notes and try to memorize the multiple steps. (Which seems like what the vast majority of what working with this program is about.) It's great advice, but I was hoping that was at least his one, simple thing that was quick and simple without a long list of steps to follow. Nevertheless, I do appreciate your response and will consider all this for the future as I get better at this.

_Eden
Old 08-05-2020, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVaschon View Post
Thanks for your response. This sounds like another thing I'd have to watch a video on and. take notes and try to memorize the multiple steps. (Which seems like what the vast majority of what working with this program is about.) It's great advice, but I was hoping that was at least his one, simple thing that was quick and simple without a long list of steps to follow. Nevertheless, I do appreciate your response and will consider all this for the future as I get better at this.

_Eden
Once you learn this, it will be incredibly simple and second nature. Its the learning process that can be frustrating.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-08-2020, 03:13 PM

I can't believe no one has mentioned this but:

pressing WIN+Enter (or CMD+ENTER) will return you to the song start marker (red diamond)

unfortunately you can't program macros using the WIN or ALT key on Windows so hopefully you're on macOS... alternatively you can program a hotkey that uses the go to bar shortcut and takes you to bar 0 (NUMPAD * -> [Bar number] -> Enter/Return)
Old 09-28-2020, 11:31 AM

The commands for return to session beginning have been mentioned, and that its not necessarily the start of the song. A suggestion. Drop a marker at the song start. Note it's number. (If its the first marker you dropped, it'll be #1) At any time, whether playback is running or not, you can have playback return to the start. Keystrokes on Mac or PC are period-[marker#]-period