Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 03-08-2017, 08:25 AM

Default Re: Goodbye PT. Hello SO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabermonty View Post
This is simply not true!
I've been gone for two years already and i have ZERO intentions of "crawl back" to Slow Tools.
Oh and before you asked what am i still doing here? the answer is simple, i read the forums every once in a while to shed some light to those who are looking for a DAW that just works and lets you focus on the music.
That DAW in my personal experience is Studio One, the learning curve was almost none existent and sofware crashes are a thing of the past.
I've work in projects with all live instruments (lots of audio) and i've also worked in project with mostly VI's (losts of MIDI) and guess what? not a single crash.
Studio One 3 is way more stable than PT 12 for what i do which is music.
Ahem.

https://forums.presonus.com/search.php?keywords=crash
Old 03-08-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabermonty View Post
This is simply not true!
I've been gone for two years already and i have ZERO intentions of "crawl back" to Slow Tools.
Oh and before you asked what am i still doing here? the answer is simple, i read the forums every once in a while to shed some light to those who are looking for a DAW that just works and lets you focus on the music.
That DAW in my personal experience is Studio One, the learning curve was almost none existent and sofware crashes are a thing of the past.
I've work in projects with all live instruments (lots of audio) and i've also worked in project with mostly VI's (losts of MIDI) and guess what? not a single crash.
Studio One 3 is way more stable than PT 12 for what i do which is music.
yes, for music .. not really Post but that is not what it was made for .. right !!!

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 03-08-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
yes, for music .. not really Post but that is not what it was made for .. right !!!
Avid leadership should be disturbed by this comment (and other similar post vs music comments seen on this board). Pro Tools was once the gold standard for all DAW applications. I can't imagine they would want to give up on dominance of the music production market.

On that note, I think the Cubase/Nuendo model is a better split than the vanilla/HD model that Avid uses. It seems that HD should be defined as post-production centric. That way they could target their product audience more specifically and efficiently.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarqu1 View Post
Pro Tools was once the gold standard for all DAW applications. I can't imagine they would want to give up on dominance of the music production market.
I don't believe in the "all" part of your comment, but as far as audio is concerned that is the general concensus. If you want to mix your stuff, you will see Pro Tools at some point. That isn't going away in the near future.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkJE View Post
Great saying (hadn't heard it before this) - it implies you've not only transcended the issue, you're also happy with the results.

To me, the best "revenge" is to use both Pro Tools and Studio One 3 Pro - I love'em both!
Glad someone "got it".

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:29 AM

I started using PT as an intern with Mix+ rigs way back when. That continued to HDX rigs until I made a career change recently. Now I only do composing and some personal projects I believe in. I have not even opened PT in 2017. I have Studio One but it has been very inefficient in regards to CPU usage and still missing some mix related functions. As far as Logic, it gives me everything I need from an audio/tracking/mix point of view when combined with UA Apollo and gives me some things non-HDX PT systems do not have like sidechain ADC. Also, there is no contest in the midi/vi's arena. At $199 I find it to be a no brainer for those already on Mac. Even those on PT always seem to have Logic installed as it was/is used by many PT users for Midi/Production.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:45 AM

what's the advantage of studio one over logic pro x?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Old 03-08-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Whatever works. But as soon as you deal with audio most of the time, you'll come back to PT
One can leave PT but will inevitably come in contact with it eventually in someone else's studio. It's that In-Law you hate, but have to live with. I generally warn people that its not just Pro Tools they should caution has the tendency to increase blood pressure, but they are doing business with a company (Avid Technologies) that lacks morals, has terrible customer service, and runs off a heavily flawed business model that quite frankly, should disgust anyone. And I tell that to anyone looking for a DAW, either Avid getting their act together or Pro Tools getting sold to another company would be good for starters.
16gb of RAM
Unsure of any firmware or drivers. Cannot find that information. Sandra reports take too long to complete, and time is a priority here.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarqu1 View Post
Avid leadership should be disturbed by this comment (and other similar post vs music comments seen on this board). Pro Tools was once the gold standard for all DAW applications. I can't imagine they would want to give up on dominance of the music production market.

On that note, I think the Cubase/Nuendo model is a better split than the vanilla/HD model that Avid uses. It seems that HD should be defined as post-production centric. That way they could target their product audience more specifically and efficiently.
Avid has a lot of issues they have to work out as a company.

It seems recently over probably the past five years they have become so confident that Pro Tools will dominate the audio production industry they simply don't need to worry about it, or in other words, are extremely cocky.

In all honesty, I don't think there's even leadership to begin with.
16gb of RAM
Unsure of any firmware or drivers. Cannot find that information. Sandra reports take too long to complete, and time is a priority here.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:37 PM

Grats on the change! I did the same thing a bit ago. Sometimes your use-case means you will go back but honestly it's good to have a breadth of knowledge so that you can be most productive.