Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 03-23-2020, 03:05 PM

Default activate or not?

I have Pro tools 9 with the iLok dongle. It works fine on my PC.

I have just sold it and want to know what i have to do at my end before i send it off to the new buyer?

I opened up iLok manager and the licence is there.

The only thing puzzling me is The activate tick is there, the deactivate is there but the transfer is greyed out?

Do I have to activate it before sending it off? and once its activated will the transfer not become greyed out and let me transfer?

Or can i send it off as it is and the new owner can activate it?
Old 03-23-2020, 03:14 PM

Default Re: activate or not?

The activate/deactivate on iLok means whether the license is on your license key or your iLok account. Simple as that: where is the license, key or account.

Avid transfer of ownership requires you have active support plan. In order to get your support plan activated, you need to find a reseller that sells you "reinstatement" (of support and update plan) that costs 299 if memory serves me right. Reinstating your plan means the license is as good as new license, it gives you current version and has the same 12 month support and update plan.

If you do not reinstate your plan, I'm afraid your only option is to leave the license on your iLok and Avid accounts as is and give away those accounts to the buyer.

Things have chanced in ten years...
Old 03-23-2020, 03:27 PM

Hi thanks,
so if i just send him the iLok and all paperwork it will be fine? He can just use it as it is or he can reinstatement it buy paying £299 ?
Old 03-23-2020, 03:28 PM

I believe its on the key? I dont think i have activated it? well it gives me the option of activating it ?
Old 03-23-2020, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvddvd View Post
Hi thanks,
so if i just send him the iLok and all paperwork it will be fine? He can just use it as it is or he can reinstatement it buy paying £299 ?
I have no other answer than to my knowledge the reinstatement needs to be paid if ownership changes. If on the other hand you have given away your iLok and Avid account usernames and passwords then nothing changes except you lost those accounts.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvddvd View Post
I believe its on the key? I dont think i have activated it? well it gives me the option of activating it ?
Activation means transfering the license from iLok account to license key, so yes you have activated your license to your license key
Old 03-23-2020, 03:34 PM

The so called chain of command here goes like this:

1) Avid Account. This is where you "own" your license. It needs to have active support plan to make transfer to another owner. It also is linked to your iLok account.
2) iLok Account. This is where Avid sends your licenses from Avid Account. At first, the license is on your account as deactivated. In the "cloud" so to speak. You activate the license to your license key that is linked to your iLok account.
3) iLok license key. This is the target where you activate your license, the key that you plug to your computer and PT will find the license from there.

Before PT9 there were no restrictions on how to transfer licenses. PT9 changed that so you need Avid's approval before iLok allows the transfer. Today you need active support plan to get that approval.