Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 05-21-2018, 04:09 AM

Default iLok not working. Does it need to be registered?

I went to a local Guitar Center and bought a new iLok. I went to Avid's site and bought and downloaded Pro Tools with the perpetual license and all of the necessary drivers.

I have the iLok plugged in to a USB port on my computer. When I launch Pro Tools a screen comes up with two buttons, Activate and Quit. It's asking me to "activate" the iLok I assume. I click Activate and it asks for my User ID and Password for ilok.com, which I enter. Then it brings me to a screen reading, "Select License to Activate" - and then I'm stuck.

Does the iLok need to be registered on ilok.com? How exactly do I do this? Both the iLok and Avid sites are very unclear and hard to navigate.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:33 AM

Default Re: iLok not working. Does it need to be registered?

Okay, I did some hunting and made some progress, but ran into a new problem.

I downloaded the iLok license manager and signed in. Also found the quick start guide. Steps 1 and 2 of the guide are complete. Step 3 reads, "Get licenses for iLok-enabled software by having software publishers deposit a license in your iLok account or by using an activation code in iLok License Manager."

I have no idea what this means.

In the License Manager application, under the Local tab I see DESKTOP and iLok_Serial (presumably my iLok) and "0 activations." That's it. In the quick start guide it shows another segment below the iLok. You're supposed drag the iLok tab onto the other one, and I guess that send the lisence to the program.

So how do I proceed? How do I get Pro Tools to show up on my License Manager application?
Old 05-21-2018, 04:35 AM

You need to go to the iLok website, create an account, and them register your iLok. Also download the Licence Manager and install it on your computer.
In your Avid account you need to give details of your iLok account so that your licences can be deposited there.
Launch iLok Manager, sign in and you should see the licences. Transfer these to the iLok and Activate. Log out and PT should now run.
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - 3 screens - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 546.01 - 2 x Internal Samsung 860 EVO SSDs, and MSATA card - Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4 - 3 screens - Blackmagic Speed Editor - MK1 Presonus Faderport - Canon C100 mk2 - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n
Old 05-21-2018, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzoboy View Post
You need to go to the iLok website, create an account, and them register your iLok. Also download the Licence Manager and install it on your computer.
In your Avid account you need to give details of your iLok account so that your licences can be deposited there.
Launch iLok Manager, sign in and you should see the licences. Transfer these to the iLok and Activate. Log out and PT should now run.
Thanks, but I'm not sure how to complete a few of the steps you listed.

1) Go to iLok website, create account.
- Done.
2) Register iLok.
- Not sure if I completed this step properly. Is there any way to check?
3) Download/install license manager.
- Done.
4) "In your Avid account you need to give details of your iLok account so that your licences can be deposited there."
- I honestly don't know what you mean. What are the "details" of my iLok account? And where do I enter this? I don't see anything on the Avid site, and navigating it is kind of a nightmare. On my.avid.com/account there is a block that says Linked iLok account. It has the correct user ID and says "Status: Linked". Beyond that I don't see anything.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:02 AM

In the iLok license manager sign in, click on your iLok ID and select the Available tab at the top. If you see the Avid license there, drag it to your registered iLok. If not, start a case with Avid and/or post in the Licensing and Accounts area of this forum.
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Old 05-21-2018, 05:03 AM

Avid needs to know the User ID you used for logging into the iLok account otherwise they wont know where to put them. As your Avid account has your iLok ID, no problems there. Did you register your copy of PT with Avid? If you have it should show up under the My Products and Subscriptions tab when you are signed in.
This is what I see in my iLok account.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg I1.jpg (49.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg I2.jpg (48.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg I3.jpg (48.0 KB, 0 views)
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - 3 screens - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 546.01 - 2 x Internal Samsung 860 EVO SSDs, and MSATA card - Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4 - 3 screens - Blackmagic Speed Editor - MK1 Presonus Faderport - Canon C100 mk2 - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n
Old 05-21-2018, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzoboy View Post
Avid needs to know the User ID you used for logging into the iLok account otherwise they wont know where to put them. As your Avid account has your iLok ID, no problems there. Did you register your copy of PT with Avid? If you have it should show up under the My Products and Subscriptions tab when you are signed in.
This is what I see in my iLok account.
I bought a 1 month subscription online and then downloaded and installed the software and drivers.

If I go to their website, and go to My Products and Subscription then My Products, it lists Pro Tools. It says Monthly Subscription, a big green check mark with the word "Active" and it says iLok ID with the correct email following it.

My iLok License Manager application looks the same as yours. But all 5 tabs have (0) next to them, including "All Licenses" and "All Activations."

How am I supposed to proceed? The quick start guide for iLok says I need to have "software publishers deposit a license in your iLok account". How do I do that?
Old 05-21-2018, 10:28 AM

If you log into your Avid account, click on "Access the Support Centre(Portal)", open a case explaining the problem and they will get back to you. I have used this service a couple of times with sucess.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:39 PM

In your avid account there is a tab called products not yet downloaded, do you have anything under that tab?

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 05-21-2018, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
In your avid account there is a tab called products not yet downloaded, do you have anything under that tab?
Where is this tab? I do not see it anywhere.