Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2013, 08:25 AM

Default Loud Audio thump on boot up

Whenever I start the PC, if the monitor amp is on, there is a very loud thump when the drivers load to my mbox mini. It does the same thing when powering down the PC. This happens about 1 sec. before the green led comes on during bootup. Is there a firmware update for this? Has someone come up with a mute circuit? if not, I will design one and share it with anyone that wants it. Thanks for reading.

PCTOOLS LE 8.04
RAM: 3GB
CPU: INTEL DUAL CPU 2.2GHZ
ONE HD
MBOX MINI VER 1 ON USB
NO OTHER USB DEVICES EXCEPT A PRINTER.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:24 AM

Default Re: Loud Audio thump on boot up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amp Doc View Post
Whenever I start the PC, if the monitor amp is on, there is a very loud thump when the drivers load to my mbox mini. It does the same thing when powering down the PC. This happens about 1 sec. before the green led comes on during bootup. Is there a firmware update for this? Has someone come up with a mute circuit? if not, I will design one and share it with anyone that wants it. Thanks for reading.

PCTOOLS LE 8.04
RAM: 3GB
CPU: INTEL DUAL CPU 2.2GHZ
ONE HD
MBOX MINI VER 1 ON USB
NO OTHER USB DEVICES EXCEPT A PRINTER.
Hello Doc. Welcome to the forum.

What you describe is a fairly common problem. In general and not limited to the MBox or any particular brand of interface. Depending on your system some people recommend turning the monitors on last to avoid this. And turning them on first. Other monitors like mine are supposed to stay on and plugged into the wall 24/7 to avoid thumping when turned on and to ensure they have nothing restricting there power draw. Stuff like this kinda needs to be looked at on a case by case basis. I can't say as I heard a lot of complaints about this. There is no firmware update im aware of to take care of any turn on transients.

There was a thread in the ElevenRack section about turn on thump not to long ago. I bet those guys would be interested in something like that that was also capable of blocking phantom power from frying the XLR outs.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 03-22-2013, 10:17 AM

One solution is to put your speakers on their own power strip/switch so you can power them up AFTER the system boots, and power them off BEFORE.

I recommend going a bit father though. I would buy a good APC UPS unit($169-$199 at Best Buy) to feed your computer and anything else on your setup, EXCEPT the speakers. I would give them their own power strip plugged into the wall. If you have a power failure or glitch, its not so important that the speakers stay on(but it can and will save data from corruption!!). I found some nice rack-mounted power strips with 10-12 outlets on the back, with a handy power switch on the front

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-22-2013, 04:19 PM

the other option would be some form of monitor box that has Volume Control and a Mute button at least
maybe source and speaker switching also for growth

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 04-16-2013, 08:21 PM

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I have a separate power switch for my audio amp. What I was talking about was an automatic mute circuit for the M-box so in case I forget to power down the speakers or the PC goes to sleep, I wouldn't hear the sound of a small bomb from the sound system. I will come up with something and post it here.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amp Doc View Post
Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I have a separate power switch for my audio amp. What I was talking about was an automatic mute circuit for the M-box so in case I forget to power down the speakers or the PC goes to sleep, I wouldn't hear the sound of a small bomb from the sound system. I will come up with something and post it here.
Looking forward to that.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88