Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2013, 10:14 AM

Default Mbox 3 - Connecting Hardware Synth Module and Axiom 25 Keyboard Controller

Hi, I'm trying to get my head around setting up my MIDI studio for the first time.
I have a Roland U220 synth module and and Axiom 25 Keyboard.
I would like to use the Axiom to record MIDI data, playing the sounds from the U220.

Could someone please describe the connections?

Do I connect the U220 (via MIDI) to the Mbox 3, or to the Axiom?
Do I connect the Axiom to USB as I have been doing for virtual instruments (and would prefer), or to the Mbox 3 via MIDI?

After I have physical connections, how do I then set up my MIDI studio so that it sees everything?

Old 04-16-2013, 11:36 AM
Admin Emeritus

Default Re: Mbox 3 - Connecting Hardware Synth Module and Axiom 25 Keyboard Controller

This is what it says in my Axiom Pro User Guide:
Page 12
Quote:
Connection Diagram
Hosted Mode:

When using Axiom Pro with a computer:
  • Connect Axiom Pro to your computer using the supplied USB cable.
  • If you own sustain or expression pedals, connect them to the “Sustain” and “Expr” inputs on the back of the keyboard.
  • If you would like to connect Axiom Pro to an external MIDI-capable device (such as a synthesizer, sound module, etc.), connect the MIDI output port to the external device’s MIDI input, while connecting the MIDI input port of Axiom Pro to the external device’s MIDI output port.
I would assume it would be the same for the regular Axiom as it is for the Axiom Pro.

Definitely I would use the USB MIDI connection rather than the Mbox MIDI I/O for the Axiom. And I would start with the synth module connected to the Axiom.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:14 PM

Default Re: Mbox 3 - Connecting Hardware Synth Module and Axiom 25 Keyboard Controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Paine View Post
Definitely I would use the USB MIDI connection rather than the Mbox MIDI I/O for the Axiom. And I would start with the synth module connected to the Axiom.
Thanks, that worked!
I've got the hardware set up, I'll try asking about the routing in the software forum.

Last edited by Space Firebird; 04-16-2013 at 08:47 PM.