Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 06-20-2011, 11:07 AM

Default Using PT HD native and UAD 2 Quad PCIE for MIXING ONLY

Hey guys,

I've been doing research about UAD and HD native. Apparently if you use UAD you get some latency issues. But what i wanted to clarify if these latency issues are a main problem for recording only?

In general, i dont really care too much for latency, because when i record I just use light RTAS plug ins, and most of the time, i record RAW.

My main purpose for wanting UAD is that i heard the plug-ins are stellar! plus, im mainly going to need them for mixing (in addition to my WAVES Plug-ins). If i use UAD plugs on a track that im mixing will it totally delay that SPECIFIC TRACK from the rest of the tracks? Or will it just cause latency with the whole session (for example: delayed response when pressing "Play").

Thanks guys!!!
Old 06-21-2011, 12:13 AM

Default Re: Using PT HD native and UAD 2 Quad PCIE for MIXING ONLY

You might want to read up a bit about delay compensation and buffer size vs latency.

But to answer your question. If you are not tracking you will be fine. UAD plugs generally require a large buffer setting in ProTools to function properly. For me tracking with UAD at a low buffer setting is impossible (errors), though I have not tried them with their 'low latency "tracking" mode.

With Native, tracking with as few Plugs as possible seems to work best, and use only those which have very little Delay (Apple click on the bottom of your fader to see the plug-in delay).

UAD is great for final mixes, and if I have to overdub anything I just do a complete bypass on the UAD plugs
Old 06-21-2011, 05:11 AM

Does UA still bundle ATA Mellowmuse with their cards and would that help in this case with the delay comp that PT can't handle? I know that v5.2 of UA's software had it (ATA).

QAPLA!
Old 06-21-2011, 08:36 PM

awesome!! thanks man
Old 06-29-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDac View Post
Hey guys,

I've been doing research about UAD and HD native. Apparently if you use UAD you get some latency issues. But what i wanted to clarify if these latency issues are a main problem for recording only?

In general, i dont really care too much for latency, because when i record I just use light RTAS plug ins, and most of the time, i record RAW.

My main purpose for wanting UAD is that i heard the plug-ins are stellar! plus, im mainly going to need them for mixing (in addition to my WAVES Plug-ins). If i use UAD plugs on a track that im mixing will it totally delay that SPECIFIC TRACK from the rest of the tracks? Or will it just cause latency with the whole session (for example: delayed response when pressing "Play").

Thanks guys!!!
I have Native card with UAD2 quad and I have not had any major issues. One thing I would like to point out is that you must set your HW buffer size to 1024 when using UAD2 plugins. I have had my CPU meter jumping all over the place and I did not know why. I called UAD and they asked me what was my buffer size set to and I had it at 128 and they said that is my problem. So he told me to set it to 1024 and that fixed my problem. The UAD 2 plugins are designed for the mix stage but they are working on recording stage process for the plugins. I hope this helps and good mixing!!!