Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2013, 10:40 PM

Default My fear from upgrading PT 10 + CPTK to PT11

My fear from upgrading PT 10 + CPTK to PT11...

If I choose to not take the PTHD ($999 route) and I loose my CPTK features, I won't be able to fully open my projects...

This is stupid. I paid good money for CPTK...

nexis

I feel like I'm being bullied and they're forcing me to give them my lunch money. I'm just a hobbyist and I'm being squeezed for everything I got. The light version of PT is too light and the HD is way over my budget. I will never be able to afford the hardware and also keep up with all those upgrade costs associated with it. That's why I purchased the CPTK ...so I can have those features I wanted...
Old 04-12-2013, 10:51 PM

Default Re: My fear from upgrading PT 10 + CPTK to PT11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexis View Post

If I choose to not take the PTHD ($999 route) and I loose my CPTK features, I won't be able to fully open my projects...

nexis

I feel like I'm being bullied and they're forcing me to give them my lunch money. I'm just a hobbyist and I'm being squeezed for everything I got. The light version of PT is too light and the HD is way over my budget. I will never be able to afford the hardware and also keep up with all those upgrade costs associated with it. That's why I purchased the CPTK ...so I can have those features I wanted...
This would have to be confirm, but unless you specifically go for the pt10+cptk=pt HD11, then I doubt you will lose your cptk because you are not surrendering it for an hd license. This could -possibly- mean that you will keep the CPTK to work on your pt 10 projects, but would not have it when working with PT 11.

I will pass this thread to the "Brass" and see what they let me or you know.

Wave-T.com
Old 04-13-2013, 04:17 AM

Quote:

AFAIK,

You can choose which upgrade you do. If you only upgrade PT10 to PT11 then that's what you're upgrading and you get to keep your old CPTK license. Avid would (this is a guess based on what preliminary information is available) make the iLok system surrender your old PT10 license (and keep the CPTK intact because you are choosing the cheap upgrade), and then replace it with the following license bundle:
*PT10
*PT11

Now if you have that bundle *and* your CPTK in your iLok you can keep using PT10 just as before. Plus you would be able to use PT11 as well.

The one thing that I have absolute no idea is that if you do this, are you eligible to upgrade that already upgraded bundle plus CPTK to the more expensive HD10/11 bundle.

So it would be safest to choose the more expensive PT10+CPTK upgrade to PT11HD, and that process goes like this:

iLok asks you to surrender your previous licenses. Both of them.

iLok replaces your key with the following license bundle:
* PT10
* PT11
* PT10HD
* PT11HD

This means you can continue using your PT10 and the HD license opens up just the same features than the CPTK did.

But no fear, either way the PT10 extra features will keep being there. PT11 extra features (upgrade eligibility once the cheaper upgrade has already been done) however has not been answered to my satisfaction.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:

nexis

Just to add on the above post.

If you choose to go from pt 10 to pt 11, your CPTK will still work with your new bundled pt 10 license. So you will be able to use it with PT 10 and use PT 11 without it, when you need more power for VI and other things. Since PT 11 and PT 10 have the same file extension, when you are done with your VI's you can always offline bounce them in tracks, take off the VI plugin and then save the session, close it and reopen it in PT 10+CPTK where you will be able to continue working.

Wave-T.com
Old 04-17-2013, 09:01 PM

Thank you everybody for your thoughts ...:)
nexis
Old 04-17-2013, 09:09 PM

Really bad options! If this ends up being the actual state of things to come it really only shows up as an incredibly bad Avid marketing decision. Why is it that pretty much everyone other than Avid's upper management can clearly see this?
Old 04-17-2013, 11:56 PM

For the sake of a constructive discussion, would you mind elaborating on how it is a bad decision to provide a dual license where users will be able to us PT 11 with the features it brings while yet being able to keep compatibility with PT 10 and those plugins that are not yet moved to AAX?

Wave-T.com
Old 04-18-2013, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
For the sake of a constructive discussion, would you mind elaborating on how it is a bad decision to provide a dual license where users will be able to us PT 11 with the features it brings while yet being able to keep compatibility with PT 10 and those plugins that are not yet moved to AAX?
It sends a pretty clear message to the [educated] user that PT11 is going to be a complete mess. Bugs.... very limited plugin support .... the second half of the transition period from PT9 to PT12