Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 12-11-2001, 01:59 AM

Default old records transfer

my grandfather has asked me to put his old 78 records onto cd for him.I haven't done this before so any help on eq-ing out the noise etc. would be greatly appreciated.
Also, would the output level from a 78 phono player need to be adjusted to get the signal into pro tools?
If anyone has done this type of work before could help me with any hints, it would make me very [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] cheers

Gigabyte X99 SOC Force Mobo Bios vF6d
Intel Core i7 5930k socket 2011 v3 @ 3.50GHz
32GB DDR4 Crucial RAM
System: Samsung M.2NVME SSD 960 Evo
Record: Samsung M.2NVME SSD 960 Evo
Samples: Samsung SATAlll SSD 840 Pro
Storage: 2x Samsung SATAlll SSD 840 Pro
EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Graphics
PT 11HD (v11.2.1) Omni s/pdif w Eleven Rack
HD 96I/O
Win 8.1 Pro
Old 12-11-2001, 03:25 AM

Default Re: old records transfer

Hi

Be carefull in this operation: if you go straight from the record player to 001, you re going to get a strange result, as record players have a particularly EQed output (called RIA) for technical reasons; the best approach (the one that worked for me)is to hook up the record player to a standard good quality Hi Fi power amp, and take the line out (or record output, whatever they call it) most power amps have; this way you get the compensated signal, since power amps are fitted with the right compensation circuit to accomodate record players. Then go straight to the 001, with short quality cables (maybe you'll need to make them as pw amps has pin connectors, while 001 has balanced TRS jacks, if you have trouble wiring them drop me a line). If you want you can go with a 24 bit session within PT, but it's not worth it if the record is really damaged; don't bother to go at 48KHz, as vinil records don't have any very high frequency information, to me it's a waste of disk space, 44.1KHz works fine for old records; once you have it in the digital domain you can take out some noise with the DINR plugin in PT (be carefull, it can be dangerous if overdone, as it can create strange artifacts and take out some signal too), or you can use the Waves restoration Bulndle, which also has a click and crackle reduction algorithm, or you can go with Sound Forge and use the many DX plugins dedicated to audio restoration (Sound Forge own NR reduction and Click and Crackle removal, Steinberg NR, Sek'd ecc..) or last you can use a dedicated software like Diamond Cut.

If you have any questions let me know

Hope this helps, good luck.

Lorenzo
Old 12-11-2001, 04:52 AM

Default Re: old records transfer

hey thanks for the tips Lorenzo, I'll give it a try.

Gigabyte X99 SOC Force Mobo Bios vF6d
Intel Core i7 5930k socket 2011 v3 @ 3.50GHz
32GB DDR4 Crucial RAM
System: Samsung M.2NVME SSD 960 Evo
Record: Samsung M.2NVME SSD 960 Evo
Samples: Samsung SATAlll SSD 840 Pro
Storage: 2x Samsung SATAlll SSD 840 Pro
EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Graphics
PT 11HD (v11.2.1) Omni s/pdif w Eleven Rack
HD 96I/O
Win 8.1 Pro