Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 06-14-2006, 07:08 PM

Default Davecs for Macbook or Macbook Pro running Windows?

Hey,

I'm thinking of buying a macbook pro but want to make sure I can get good performance running Pro Tools in WINDOWS as well as mac osx (with Bootcamp or parallels).

Anybody out there have any experience/thoughts on this? Care to post configuration with Davec test results?

I saw rock_artist got good performance (ma kore gever).

Also, anybody run into problems with any plugins running pro tools in windows on the macbooks?

Thanks,

SG
Old 06-15-2006, 08:25 AM

Default Re: Davecs for Macbook or Macbook Pro running Windows?

Quote:
Hey,

I'm thinking of buying a macbook pro but want to make sure I can get good performance running Pro Tools in WINDOWS as well as mac osx (with Bootcamp or parallels).

Anybody out there have any experience/thoughts on this? Care to post configuration with Davec test results?

I saw rock_artist got good performance (ma kore gever).

Also, anybody run into problems with any plugins running pro tools in windows on the macbooks?

Thanks,

SG
I would be surprised if you did run into plugin in problems since this laptop is built on the Intel chipset and all components are similar to what you would find in a Windows laptop. Apple just configured OSX to run on the Intel chipset. There were early results released with DVerb counts as well and they rivaled or were better than most G5 dual or quads. This is one great little laptop in my opnion and I'm looking forward to getting mine soon.

Allen
Old 06-15-2006, 09:49 AM

Hey Allan,

I wouldn't be suprised if you're right about this, which is why I'm thinking of buying one. But I would really like to verify it in some way before dropping 3K. Davecs or another benchmark by others running PT in the window side of a macbook would really help settle it.

You've been right many times before, so your opinion goes a long way. You do seem pretty psyched about these laptops, do you have one yet?

Also, any thoughts on the difference between a macbook and macbook pro? seems the main difference is the dedicated video card/memory on the pro. Any thoughts on how this may affect performace in PT? Between the 15 and 17 inch?

Thanks,

SG
Old 06-15-2006, 10:11 PM

Here is a great thread for starters on the MacBook Pro and Davec results. Best results on this thread were with OSX and PTLE 7.1.1 vs. Bootcamp XP. There was one result of 32 Audio + 90 something Aux. Amazing results from a laptop.

http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...94#Post1011232

Allen
Old 06-15-2006, 10:42 PM

allen, my friend is looking to put together a little home studio. were between the sweetwater creation station and the macbook. i have the 2.53 creation station and i know its rock solid. however, were willing to give up a little power for the portability. how much of a power difference do you think there will be?
Old 06-15-2006, 10:54 PM

Quote:
allen, my friend is looking to put together a little home studio. were between the sweetwater creation station and the macbook. i have the 2.53 creation station and i know its rock solid. however, were willing to give up a little power for the portability. how much of a power difference do you think there will be?
The new MacBook Pro with 2Ghz dual core Intels will probably outperform that computer of yours. Have you performed a Dverb test on your computer yet? Look through the Quadzilla thread for instructions on performing it.

Allen
Old 06-16-2006, 07:22 AM

were looking at the plain macbook. the pro is alittle more than he wants to spend.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:19 AM

Same dual core Intel processor as the MacBook Pro. Check out RAs results on the Best Laptop for PTLE thread. I'm almost certain these new laptops will give you twice the processing power as your current system.

Allen
Old 06-16-2006, 09:03 AM

thanx for the help. think were gonna go with the macbook.....
Old 06-16-2006, 09:03 AM

thanx for the help. think were gonna go with the macbook.....