Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2010, 11:20 AM

Default After 8.0.3 install, no text in workspace or relink window

Hello,

This is my first post into this forum. I just installed version 8 onto my new intel Mac. Now my workspace and relink window display no text. Here's an example of a relink window looking for a quicktime movie:

http://tinyurl.com/ybyjjw7

It makes searching for files very difficult, and my catalogs with FX files now won't display the names of the files! I sent a notice to digi tech support, but have yet to hear back. I have already trashed all Pro Tools and DAE prefs and uninstalled and reinstalled Pro Tools twice, but this always happens. Any ideas?

Intel Mac
OS 10.6.2
Pro Tools 8.0.3 LE

-Jon
Old 01-05-2010, 02:01 PM

Default Re: After 8.0.3 install, no text in workspace or relink window

I had the same issue. I think if you open a plug in you will also find that the pull downs have no text either, but if you click on them you will see text in the drop down.I posted in "Post Production" with no responses in a week. Contacted digi support, and tried what they suggested, which you will find below, still with no success. I created a new user log in and everything was fine. It's been a real pain in the butt migrating to a new user with access permissions a stuff, but is solved the problem. I think it's an Apple thing because when I open Izotope RX ,application not plug in, the buttons have no text either.
Good luck!

Subject
Text missing from Workspace tool bar and drive names not displayed since 8.03 upgrade

Description
Upgraded to 8.03 after Snow Leopard install. Repaired permissions, trashed Digi prefs, restarted and started Pro Tools. When using digibase drive/file names are not displayed, the window title will show location if you open a drive, but no text in the file or drive name column is displayed. Also toolbar text is no longer displayed either.

Discussion Thread
Entered By : Digidesign-Avid Customer Success Entered on : 12/23/2009 9:57 AM
Hi,

If there is text missing from multiple areas in the application we would recommend that you start with a clean uninstall and reinstall of Pro Tools.

Remove Pro Tools:

1 Make sure you are logged in as an Administrator for the account where Pro Tools is installed.

2 Go to Applications/Digidesign/Pro Tools/Pro Tools Utilities and double-click the “Uninstall ProTools” file.

3 Click Continue to proceed with the uninstall.

4 Choose the clean uninstall option.

Reinstall 8.0 and then the 8.0.3 update. If you have the web installer the following applies:

Even though the web site instructs you not to upgrade to 8.0.3 using the web installer you can still do so. There was a small number of testers that received kernel panics installing 8.0 under Mac OS 10.6.x but these errors caused no actual problems with the installation this is what prompted the messaging to wait for 8.0 users with no DVD to wait for the full installer. You can install 8.0 and the the 8.0.3 update. You can find information about the 8.0.3 update and links to download it here:

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...0&itemid=40434

You are also welcome to wait for the full update to be posted to your account. I do not have a time frame that I can give you for the posting of the full 8.0.3 installer to your My Avid/My Digi account. My guess would be 7 to 10 days.

If this does not resolve the issue we have seen issues like this on systems when the upgrade to Snow Leopard was installed over an existing installation of Leopard. You may want to consider backing up your system and reinstall from scratch with a fresh installation of 10.6.x and not an upgrade.

Best regards,
Avid/Digidesign Technical Support

Best regards,
Avid/Digidesign Technical Support
Entered By : Customer (Bobby Tate) Entered on : 12/21/2009 7:03 AM
P.S. I have found that all plug in windows, both RTAS and Audiosuite plug in windows have text missing toolbar drop downs are missing text as well. The actual drop down menu has text but results in no text being displayed.
Also when importing omfs, the file source properties window displays no information.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:30 PM

Thanks for the advice. I opened Pro Tools in another account that already existed and everything is fine there. However, as you know, migrating accounts would be a NIGHTMARE. I'm going to see if digi has any other ideas, otherwise I'll have to prepare for a weekend of swearing.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:32 AM

Nightmare indeed!
Please share if you find a fix.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:34 PM
Avid

The only fix is going to be identifying which preference file is causing the problem and trashing it.

I'm going to talk to a couple people tomorrow and see if they might know.

My first inclination - trash (or move to the desktop) the com.apple.HIToolbox.plist preference file, restart and test again.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:06 PM

I'm afraid moving preferences didn't work. I moved that preference you suggested to the desktop, rebooted, no go. I then moved half of my preferences to the desktop...no go. I put those back, moved the OTHER half of my preferences to the desktop...no go. I thought if I could determine which half of the preferences was causing the problem, I could keep splitting into halves and get it down to the one, but it doesn't appear that the preferences are causing it. Using migration assistant, if I try to clone my account (with a new name), I get the same problem in that new account. However if I create a new account from scratch, Pro Tools works in it. So this weekend I'm going to try and create a new account and THEN import my settings into it, and see if that works. Initial tests with migration assistant don't look promising, but that's the next step, and I'm of course open to any other ideas.