How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 12-03-2002, 12:13 AM

Default Re: Guitar tone in pro tools

Quote:
Originally posted by Henchman:
Start by losing the 57. I usually will mix a large diaphragm condenser with a 421.

Mark
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Were you talking to me? If so, what large diaphragm condener would you recommend for recording distorted guitars? And what is a 421?

Thanks,

Steve
Old 12-03-2002, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sah5150:
Oh, you mean because the clips actually sound good? [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Actually, no. It's because they sound dated.
Old 12-03-2002, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sah5150:
Were you talking to me? If so, what large diaphragm condener would you recommend for recording distorted guitars? And what is a 421?

Thanks,

Steve
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes. Very dated.
[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-04-2002, 04:17 AM

out dated or not is beside the point. what sah5150 stated was:

"Just wanted to show that you can get damn good guitar sounds in Pro Tools without a lot of trouble."

fact of matter is that the VH tone and playing style have been the sole reason thousands of people picked up the guitar in the first place...

this, of course, doesn't mean it should serve as a blueprint to modern guitar sounds.
Old 12-04-2002, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dirren:
out dated or not is beside the point. what sah5150 stated was:

"Just wanted to show that you can get damn good guitar sounds in Pro Tools without a lot of trouble."

fact of matter is that the VH tone and playing style have been the sole reason thousands of people picked up the guitar in the first place...

this, of course, doesn't mean it should serve as a blueprint to modern guitar sounds.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I totally agree that this tone should not be a reference for modern guitar tone. As you pointed out, I was showcasing the amp in the way the builder wanted to portray it. The amp is capable of many different tones as am I. I just thought I got results pretty close to the original VH recrdings (which it seems many, many guitarists are *still* trying to do with varying degrees of success - just check out any amp discussion board!) in my little home studio with just my PT setup. I believe that its a pretty good example that shows you can get really good guitar tones in PT with a real amp in a home studio without a lot of fuss. Remember, years ago, this tone was the most talked about guitar sound on the planet, and dated or not, the sound didn't suddenly turn "bad" - it is just out of fashion.

If I was so inclined, I'm sure I could pull my detuned seven string (I do own one - wait I think they are going out of style too [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ) out and play through the same amp with a bit more gain and quadruple track a pretty nice modern hard rock guitar tone. In fact, I may do just that. I'll post a link when I've got something...

Steve
Old 12-04-2002, 08:39 AM

EVH still has the most sought after tone... amongst guitar players that can actually play anyway... and will be around long all these seven string, d-tuned, so much low end there's no room for a bass, can't play lead worth s*it, wannabe posers have faded into MTV's miserable past.

Good tone never goes out of fashion. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Taste... on the other hand, seems to disappear from time to time. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-04-2002, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bassmac:
Good tone never goes out of fashion. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well...., it actually seems to me that good tone does go out of fashion unfortunately [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

My point is that if it was good tone once, it still is good tone - just out of fashion with the current "flavor of the month"...

Never went out out of fashion with me, of course, but I was raised on EVH... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Steve