Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2010, 08:31 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 9 is a SHAME for HD users!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by formfunction View Post
Your fear of this drastic improvement belies two probabilities.

1. You don't have enough work now. (no shame, many of us don't) And you fear that you will have even less with PT9 being more comprehensive.
2. You think features are what gets you hired.

No matter what your rant is based on (I would be a little miffed had I bought HD/hardware new 6 months ago, but if you are in a client driven environment that investment should be long paid off. IOW, if you have not made 15k in 6 months...) let us know how that Sonar pays off for you. ff
To be very honest, I have a lot of work otherwise I'd never spend 7000 bucks on Pro Tools coming from Logic. The problem is that I spent a lot of money a few months ago in HD simply because clients and labels were asking for it, I'd stay with Logic or Pyramix otherwise because I prefer hardware. And to be honest, the ADC in HD is not accurate at all. Try a parallel comp with an hardware comp, and welcome to phase land!

What pisses me off is that now I'd sell my HD3 cards for 900 bucks, not more, maybe even less!!

In clients mind, HD was THE difference between pro and consumer, because it was more reliable, stable, more track counts and so on... Also, I'm mixing OTB so the HD rig makes sense. BUT my HD cards are just dongles now because who cares about TDM plugs?? Everything is going native now.

I had clients when I was working on Logic, but they were all asking for PT and that's the ONLY reason I bought one.

I think that if I keep a small PT rig, it will be for clients convenience. If you're a pro, let's be honest, how many people asked you for PT even if they don't know anything about it?? It's like Neumann, it's standard.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
You Skills!!! - I am sorry but if you lack the imagination on how PT will benefit you - you probably lack the skills to creative. I encourage my clients to get PT that way when then bring a project to me I can add to it with my engineered studio and work on my ICON.
It's all about people, skills and creativity and it always will be.
As I said, I had clients when I was on Logic so I guess it's not a matter of skills. I can't see benefits of HD now. I wish I never bought this HD3 and got an extra pultec or any other good flavoured gear instead.

And if you want to know the whole story, this HD rig cost me 23 days of intense work because it was a deal with a label who actually bought it for me for an artist. So I had no income for this session but got this rig, so I bought it in a way. But it was fine because I was already thinking about buying an HD system for clients.

I should have asked for the money and stayed in Logic. But I have a lot of friends who are not happy because they are in the same situation.

Oh and please don't get me wrong, the main complaint I have is that Avid doesn't seem to care about their clients, I like the software.

And when I say it's a shame, it's because we're talking about pretty big money. For me more than 5000$ is big money for an obsolete hardware.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffT View Post
Or you could just bounce a stereo mix and track vocals to that.
+1
Old 11-05-2010, 08:54 AM

Not a shame for HD users that truly need the DSP chips processing power, only a shame if you don't need it and you bought it

For me, i was just about to purchase the DV Toolkit 2 for our small post studio and then build an HD post studio in 6 months, turns out i don't need all that anymore, just a crossgrade on PT 9
Old 11-05-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olukunle View Post
Not a shame for HD users that truly need the DSP chips processing power, only a shame if you don't need it and you bought it
Problem is that probably in the future, if they decided to not upgrade their dsp cards, TDM plugins won't see the light.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:59 AM

You can have very low lantency with well coded ASIO drivers, as low as 2/3ms, you don't need a PCI card for that. And TDM plugs are dead, check out SPL website, their analog code plugins are now a bundle for the same price!

Out of curiosity I checked a Chris Lord Alge video talking about his plugs and stuff... did he mentionned HD cards? Nope, he mentionned that now he has a new 16 cores mac. That says a lot!

The only benefit of HD now is for mixing on a console because you could need more than 32 i/o. I think Avid won't release new HD cards, unless they have somthing VERY special but I can't see what it could be, maybe they can make coffee?
Old 11-05-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahamnesik View Post
Ok, let's face it, now those of us who spent thousands and thousands in a so called "Pro" software will now have HD cards that will sell for peanuts and no benefits at all using HD cards!!

Well, thank you very much AVID for making no difference between LE and HD users, now you'll have the exact same features... that's a shame!...

Since there's no longer a gap between LE and HD, there's no reason to call it "Pro" anymore. The new Amateur Tools is nice for personal use, not Pro. The good news is that we're all going to spend our money on hardware now because the soft won't offer the clients anything they can't get at home!

And by the way, who the hell is going to buy the Native HD card????? I mean, what's the point of spendin thousands on a dongle?????????????????????
all i can say is...

the cup is either half full or half empty - its your choice!
Old 11-05-2010, 09:38 AM

I agree.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:03 AM

So simple.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agradl View Post
Nonetheless, 350 $ for having just more tracks/buses and the possibility of working on a laptop with no hw seems a little pricey for us HD owners. At least they could have included Heat in the upgrade.
Entirely agree. I have an HD3 Accel system with mp3 option, AAF/OMF/MXF file interchange option (both of which cost extra) and C|24 console all running on PT8. TBH, I'm finding the almost £300 price charged for the upgrade hard to justify on the basis that it gives me some more aux, MIDI channels and busses + the option (as long as I take my iLok with me) to run PT on my MacBook. I don't really need any of that. It would cost me the same to upgrade as it does someone who still uses PT 6 or 7 and hasn't forked out the extra cash for the mp3 option or OMF tool. To me it seems that Avid is more interested in enticing users of other platforms to jump ship rather than rewarding loyal ProTools customers.