Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2003, 01:15 PM

Default Switching an internal HD(with sessions on it) from one pc to another....

Thanks for any advice on this...

There is a 40gb Western Digital internal HardDrive(with sessions on it) on another pc here, and I want to put it in MY pc, which has a 20gb Sys. drive, but no other INTernal drive. It does however, have a 1394 Ext. Firewire Drive.

My question is, do I have to do anything other than hook it up? (like clear it out, format it, start from scratch...?) I just want to be sure.

Thanks, Roy
Old 01-03-2003, 02:42 PM

Default Re: Switching an internal HD(with sessions on it) from one pc to another....

the only thing you need to do is make sure the jumper settings are correct. you can decide whether to format or partition later based on what is your anticipated use.
Old 01-03-2003, 03:03 PM

Default Re: Switching an internal HD(with sessions on it) from one pc to another....

Thanks Brian... but, I'm still not quite sure about it. I mean, when I got the HD, I set the jumper position correctly at the time. But, would they change just because I'm switching pc's? I mean, the HD is running right now, on the old Compaq (you remember, my old one). I was hoping to just pull it out, and just install it in my new pc here. Thanks, Roy
Old 01-03-2003, 03:57 PM

Roy-

Was the HD a second drive in the computer you are taking it from? If so, you probobly won't need to change the settings [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-03-2003, 04:37 PM

jumper settings=master or slave. the HD with the OS needs to be set to master and the additional HD needs to be a slave. most HD's even say master or slave next to the jumper pins you need to have connected. get a flashlight and see for yourself.
Old 01-03-2003, 04:55 PM

Thanks you guys... The HD I want to put in is set up as a Slave drive, so that's great. I had set it up myself(I had forgotten the slave/master thing). Both pc's in question already have a Master 'OS'/System drive. So, it sounds like I can just take it from one pc, and put it in another safely. That's great....... Thanks very much... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] -Roy
Old 01-03-2003, 05:10 PM

speaking of master and slaves....where did captian pants go? its time he start swabbin' the decks [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-03-2003, 06:19 PM

Indeed, where is the Captain of the High Seas tonight?... he seems curiously absent lately. Must be below deck on his ProTools again...
Old 01-03-2003, 07:36 PM

i think he below deck polishin' up that ole wooden leg of his if you knw what i mean [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] .....arrrr, thar she blows [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-03-2003, 08:06 PM

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I am laughin....that's so funny... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]