Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2020, 01:27 PM

Default Pro Tools Crashed and I think I know why

Okay, so I have an acer, i3 process 8gb ram. Pro Tools was working FINE minus the occasional "running out of CPU" message. Id press ok wait 2 seconds then business as usual. Well i downloaded Waves autotune changed some latency settings and its never been the same since. Can't even play anything, tried changing it back nothing. Im planning on getting a new computer. It would be : Lenovo ThinkCentre M81 SFF, Intel Core i7, 32GB RAM, 512GB SSD, Win10 Pro. Would this be a good computer to be running pt?
Old 07-02-2020, 01:32 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Crashed and I think I know why

currently using
acer aspire e15 e5-571-39x3 intelcore i3, 8gb ddr3 Lmemory | PC Windows 10| yamaha steinberg ur22 usb interface| protools 2020.5
Old 07-02-2020, 02:19 PM

Windows PC are a bit of a crap shoot, unless you know somebody using an exact model as you want it's hard to know how well they will work.

The best option if you are technical is to build your own PC following guidance on threads here on DUC.

If you want a high-end Pro Tools PC then folks can build them for you.

For a new desktop PC Id' be looking for something with highly expandable memory. I'd want to be able to expand well beyond 32GB or future upgrades and a long life.

SATA or NVMe/PCIe SSD? Nowadays I would not use any storage except NVMe/PCIe M2 SSD drives. They have stunning price/performance and are so fast they get you away from needing to dedicate drives to audio or samples. I'd be looking for systems that have multiple M.2 drive slots on the motherboard.

One of the downsides of anOEM computer is all the crapware they include and Lenovo has been pretty bad there in the past. I would plan on wiping the computer and installing a clean copy of Windows 10 Pro.

But having a computer that is about right, is just the beginning, everything else is proper optimization and systems setup. Start under "help us help you" at the top of each DUC web page.
Old 07-02-2020, 04:30 PM

Here's the official compatibility page.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com