Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2008, 08:48 PM

Question > Live Recording with Venue - What is req'd?

I have done a search and did not come up with anything clear on this. . .

My questions are:

What additional hardware is required to record 40+ tracks inside the Venue console to use later in post with HD in my studio?
Are there any Venue software version or other issues I need to be aware of?

Some background:

I have had little chance to touch the Venue. We do nothing but fly dates, and I usually end up on a Midas Heritage or PM5D, however the few times I have used the Venue have been good experiences because the product sounds good and is logical, however I have found the system techs out with the console know next to nothing about the product, which is just as common for the PM5D (ie: Last weekend I had to update the firmware on a PM5D because the console had a version conflict and would not load a show).

We wish to record a live performance for a live CD. In past projects like this, I just bring out my HD rig and record out of the direct outs for a Midas, directly into 40 channels of HD (I have a couple of 192 i/os with the option A/D cards, and i borrow a third 192). With recent changes to air travel and baggage restrictions I can not bring my rig out (the 3 cases are all over 70 lbs) and shipping by other means will not fit the schedule. . . Is there an advantage in using a Venue rented, from one of the regional sound companies, instead of a Midas, or do I still need an HD rig? I know several companies in the area that have the original D-Show system with the FOH and Stage rack. . . however it looks like I still need an HD rig, minus the 192 i/os, to record with the Venue, but I am not sure of what is required. . . see my questions at the top. . .
Old 09-09-2008, 09:11 PM

Default Re: > Live Recording with Venue - What is req'd?

Hi Howard,

All the console needs is an HDx card in the FOH rack. It is 64 channels bi-directional using two DigiLink cables. You need a computer (PC or Mac) running Pro Tools with a minimum of two TDM cards and you're good to go.

I would check to make sure that the engineer running the console is comfortable with the amount of gain that you need to get proper levels in Pro Tools though. Robert Scovill's webinar from a couple of months ago covers this in pretty good detail. Out of the box Venue is set so that 0 dB on the console is -18 to -20 dB down from 0 dBfs in Pro Tools. I run my console in meter ballistics in RMS and set the gain so that my peaks are between +9 and +12. This gives great level into Pro Tools and still leaves plenty of headroom in both Pro Tools and the Venue system. Hope this helps.

Erik
Old 09-10-2008, 01:30 PM

Does any additional software need to be installed in the ProTools HD computer, other than ProTools HD to properly recognize the Venue?
Old 09-10-2008, 03:39 PM

No, Pro Tools sees the Venue Stage Rack as your interface.