Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 02-09-2011, 03:27 PM

Default What does "native" mean in terms of PT systems?

As it says on the tin. For some reason I have managed to get through 4 years of operating ProTools without ever working out what this means. it is causing me considerable discomfort.

What is a "native" system?

Excuse my ignorance.

Thenks.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:40 PM

Default Re: What does "native" mean in terms of PT systems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by playground_strifer View Post
As it says on the tin. For some reason I have managed to get through 4 years of operating ProTools without ever working out what this means. it is causing me considerable discomfort.

What is a "native" system?

Excuse my ignorance.

Thenks.
One that runs solely on the "guts" of the computer... as opposed to HD which used the power of extra process cards..
Old 02-09-2011, 03:44 PM

Thanks you.

Does this mean it has no DSP or anything on board? And as such, requires an extremely efficient computer to run at high sample resolutions?

Cheers.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:01 PM

That is for the most part true. Modern computers have advanced over the years that much of the digital audio processing can be done using the computer's processor "native.". In previous systems, additional DSP power was needed to support the higher sample rates and track counts. Today, use of DSP is more often associated with specially optimized plugins that take advantage of those DSP processors.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3
Old 02-09-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
Today, use of DSP is more often associated with specially optimized plugins that take advantage of those DSP processors.
And more I/O
Old 02-09-2011, 07:29 PM

Although there is an HD native card. The card itself enables the use of the HD gear by connecting them into the card, but the card doesn't do any processing. All the processing is still done by the CPU(S) And as far as I know, even with that card, you can not use the TDM plugins.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
Although there is an HD native card. The card itself enables the use of the HD gear by connecting them into the card, but the card doesn't do any processing. All the processing is still done by the CPU(S) And as far as I know, even with that card, you can not use the TDM plugins.
Yes. It all comes down to where the numbers are really being crunched and the key lies in the use of TDM cards. TDM stands for Time Division Multiplexing, or something close to that lol. Essentially TDM allows audio to be processed with little to no perceived latency. In a TDM system you can track with plugs and not hear the latency. At least that's my understanding. But here is the breakdown of the 3 types of Pro Tools sytems.

HD/TDM systems use the TDM process/accel cards to do the mixing. Your track count and I/O are dependent on how many cards you have in the system. You'll notice people have HD1, HD2, HD3, ect. systems. This refers to how many TDM cards they have. These systems only work with HD interfaces.

Native systems use the host cpu to do the mixing. Under PT9 they can use any Core Audio or Asio interface.

HD/Native uses the host CPU but allows the use of HD interfaces and has more simultaneous I/O than a Native system. However you do loose the ability to use TDM plugs and some of the other things TDM cards add over a native system.

There are other processors out there you can add to either system, like the UAD cards, but they don't change whether the system is TDM or Native. They simply give the host CPU more power.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CME View Post
Yes. It all comes down to where the numbers are really being crunched and the key lies in the use of TDM cards. TDM stands for Time Division Multiplexing, or something close to that lol. Essentially TDM allows audio to be processed with little to no perceived latency. In a TDM system you can track with plugs and not hear the latency. At least that's my understanding. But here is the breakdown of the 3 types of Pro Tools sytems.

HD/TDM systems use the TDM process/accel cards to do the mixing. Your track count and I/O are dependent on how many cards you have in the system. You'll notice people have HD1, HD2, HD3, ect. systems. This refers to how many TDM cards they have. These systems only work with HD interfaces.

Native systems use the host cpu to do the mixing. Under PT9 they can use any Core Audio or Asio interface.

HD/Native uses the host CPU but allows the use of HD interfaces and has more simultaneous I/O than a Native system. However you do loose the ability to use TDM plugs and some of the other things TDM cards add over a native system.

There are other processors out there you can add to either system, like the UAD cards, but they don't change whether the system is TDM or Native. They simply give the host CPU more power.
+1
Old 02-11-2011, 09:07 AM

If I am not mistaken, when Apples next gen mac pro comes out with either a 16 or 24 core and adding 10gb+ of ram and when PT goes 64bit, with HD native, you will have far more power than an HD3 (minus Heat and TDM) for less than half the price.
But that's just my guess.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDP View Post
If I am not mistaken, when Apples next gen mac pro comes out with either a 16 or 24 core and adding 10gb+ of ram and when PT goes 64bit, with HD native, you will have far more power than an HD3 (minus Heat and TDM) for less than half the price.
But that's just my guess.
Judging by the fact that you can already make a PC with multi cpus, not just multi core (server mobo), and up to 192+ gigs of ram. You definitely have a computer that is more powerful than the current hd 3+ and cost far less than any macs

Truthfully, I'm pretty confident and with high hopes that when PT 64 comes out, we'll have new hd gear that will blow our socks off. It would be a real slap in the face of the pro users to come out with a new platform that doesn't have any professional gear that goes with it.