Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2015, 06:51 AM

Default Re: HD Hardware & CoreAudio on Yosemite

Quote:
Originally Posted by zion View Post
I agree 100% It really is a shame.
The plug in does look like a great solution but why should I pay extra for a workaround to something Avid should just fix? I paid $599 for 12 and support how hard can core audio be to fix?

Moderators do you know if this is fixed in the upcoming 12.3?

I have a support contract but I'm not starting a support query for something that is known and acknowledged by AVID already.

It's frustrating.

I may end up buying the source connect plug in as workflow wise I liek teh idea of running another app and PT together but id don't want to HAVE to buy it because Avid can't/won't/don't want to fix an essential item.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Pickles View Post
Moderators do you know if this is fixed in the upcoming 12.3?
Years ago I set up the optical out of the Mac into my interface to monitor and record anything coming out of the Mac's audio out. So I haven't even tried this in years. Of course I have to have a session open (I have sessions on my desktop for each samplerate) which some would consider a hassle, but with the ability to record anything instantly, I'm not sure I change the way I do it.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:37 AM

Source Nexus is doing something much more than a fix of the Core Audio Driver would achieve … that fix, if it ever comes, won't give you the functionality that Source Nexus will.

Fixing the Core Audio Driver will only allow you to play system sounds, sounds off the internet, iTunes etc when you are NOT running Pro Tools.

Unless Avid make some big changes the driver will not let you do that when Pro Tools IS running, because the driver requires exclusive access to the hardware when running Pro Tools.

Unless the HDX driver spec is very different to the 003/MBox driver specs.

I have the analog audio outs of my Mac Pro connected to the aux input of my 003, so with one button press I can switch between hearing my DAW's output and the computer's own output.

I have the optical out of my computer connected to the optical in of my 003 ...

… although this goes via a digital routing patchbay first, so the computer optical out is just one of a selection of optical signals I can route to the 003's optical in …

… and this enables me to record the computer's output without leaving the digital domain if I want to.

Source Nexus is a whole other beast ...

… yes it will let you route your computer's output to it, and then select it in the instantiated plugin in Pro Tools so you can record it …

… but it's the routing between apps running on the same computer that is the big thing 'justifying' its hefty price tag.

I've always felt Kontakt ran more stably standalone than as a Plugin inside Pro Tools, and I still have some plugins (e.g. impOSCar) that don't have an AAX version, so with Source Nexus I'd be able to run them standalone, with multiple outputs, and have those arrive as multiple inputs directly in Pro Tools.

Though, as it happens, this Source Nexus has probably missed the boat for that usage … many of us have gone for Vienna as an 'outside the DAW' solution.

If they reduced the price a bit though, I'd buy it in an instant, for both uses. Could be very handy … e.g. recording, inside the project, someone's comments on fixes that are needed to a track when chatting via Skype … so there is a permanent record of exactly what the client is asking for.

I'm going to have a look at the more basic version, which is half the price, but only allows you one stereo in and out. That may well be enough for my needs.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 11-01-2015, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post
Source Nexus is doing something much more than a fix of the Core Audio Driver would achieve … that fix, if it ever comes, won't give you the functionality that Source Nexus will.

Fixing the Core Audio Driver will only allow you to play system sounds, sounds off the internet, iTunes etc when you are NOT running Pro Tools.

Unless Avid make some big changes the driver will not let you do that when Pro Tools IS running, because the driver requires exclusive access to the hardware when running Pro Tools.

Unless the HDX driver spec is very different to the 003/MBox driver specs.

I have the analog audio outs of my Mac Pro connected to the aux input of my 003, so with one button press I can switch between hearing my DAW's output and the computer's own output.

I have the optical out of my computer connected to the optical in of my 003 ...

… although this goes via a digital routing patchbay first, so the computer optical out is just one of a selection of optical signals I can route to the 003's optical in …

… and this enables me to record the computer's output without leaving the digital domain if I want to.

Source Nexus is a whole other beast ...

… yes it will let you route your computer's output to it, and then select it in the instantiated plugin in Pro Tools so you can record it …

… but it's the routing between apps running on the same computer that is the big thing 'justifying' its hefty price tag.

I've always felt Kontakt ran more stably standalone than as a Plugin inside Pro Tools, and I still have some plugins (e.g. impOSCar) that don't have an AAX version, so with Source Nexus I'd be able to run them standalone, with multiple outputs, and have those arrive as multiple inputs directly in Pro Tools.

Though, as it happens, this Source Nexus has probably missed the boat for that usage … many of us have gone for Vienna as an 'outside the DAW' solution.

If they reduced the price a bit though, I'd buy it in an instant, for both uses. Could be very handy … e.g. recording, inside the project, someone's comments on fixes that are needed to a track when chatting via Skype … so there is a permanent record of exactly what the client is asking for.

I'm going to have a look at the more basic version, which is half the price, but only allows you one stereo in and out. That may well be enough for my needs.
Thanks for the info but to clarify with this Nexus work around are you hearing your computers audiocard/converters output or are you hearing your DAW 's interface converters output (which is what am after and like about the Core Audio even though I have to quit PT) ?

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 11-01-2015, 03:10 PM

You set you system preferences sound output to Source Nexus, and load it as an insert plugin in Pro Tools or other DAW of your choice.

So whatever you have chosen as your hardware in Pro Tools is what you hear the system sounds through. System sounds of course is anything set to go via the sounds output setting in system preferences, so includes iTunes, QuickTime and many more.

The beauty of it is that because it is seen as a Core Audio device in its own right, any app that lets you choose the audio settings can be set to output to Source Nexus.

That could be another DAW, video software like Final Cut or Media Composer, Virtual Instruments, or other software, even simple stuff like VLC.

Whatever you send to Sound Nexus as a Core Audio device can then be accessed via the insert plugin in Pro Tools.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 11-01-2015, 03:20 PM

So, why can't Avid figure out how to do this?
Retro 176 (pair), Pultec EQP-1A (pair), Germanium Comps (pair), BAE 10DC (pair), Distressor (pair), Manley Vari-Mu, Sta-Level, Zener, SSL Fusion, SSL FX G384, API 2500, LA2A, 1176, Bricasti, Massive Passive, Anamod ATS-1, Eventide H3500, TC 2290, Yamaha D5000, PCM92, PCM70... Amps, Amps & More Amps.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post
You set you system preferences sound output to Source Nexus, and load it as an insert plugin in Pro Tools or other DAW of your choice.

So whatever you have chosen as your hardware in Pro Tools is what you hear the system sounds through. System sounds of course is anything set to go via the sounds output setting in system preferences, so includes iTunes, QuickTime and many more.

The beauty of it is that because it is seen as a Core Audio device in its own right, any app that lets you choose the audio settings can be set to output to Source Nexus.

That could be another DAW, video software like Final Cut or Media Composer, Virtual Instruments, or other software, even simple stuff like VLC.

Whatever you send to Sound Nexus as a Core Audio device can then be accessed via the insert plugin in Pro Tools.
Thanks sounds interesting , ha !

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 11-02-2015, 08:20 PM

Yup. Still waiting. What a bunch of crap. This has been an issue since they announced support for Yosemite in OCTOBER 2014! Over a year ago!! They should have never announced support for Yosemite AT ALL. I would have just stayed on Mavericks. If they addressed issues like this quickly, I would see the value in paying them $400-$600 a year for support. The fact that this is still an issue for me is a running joke now. Literally. I'm in Pro Audio sales and my coworker who is running a Universal Audio Apollo with Pro Tools asks me if they fixed the HD Driver yet with every update Avid releases. The answer is always: Nope.
Avid Control App 2023.11
HD Native Thunderbolt
HD I/O + Omni
Avid S1 x 2
Old 11-03-2015, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
Years ago I set up the optical out of the Mac into my interface to monitor and record anything coming out of the Mac's audio out. So I haven't even tried this in years. Of course I have to have a session open (I have sessions on my desktop for each samplerate) which some would consider a hassle, but with the ability to record anything instantly, I'm not sure I change the way I do it.
Hi Drew would you mind asking Avid for a timeline on this. I really can't be bothered with ADAT to my HD io and I need all the ADDA anyway on my 16x16 so it's not an option, but thanks for suggesting it.

Source connect would be better for me, but once more I say "why should I have to if core audio on hd just worked as it was supposed to?
Old 11-03-2015, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwriter View Post
The site says PT 11 with no mention of 12.
Do you know if it works with 12?

Also, hows does this work when you go to YouTube for example?
How would you watch videos without audio latency?
Works perfectly with PT12.2.1 on Yosemite.

I did'nt noticed any latency issue on youtube or any other video host websites.
You should try it on demo. u'll see.

:)

I ran a test of recording from Itunes at 0db inside protools, then import the original file with phase inverted.
Total silence.
So it's transparent.

cheers.

Last edited by pierrobass; 11-03-2015 at 08:20 AM.