Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2014, 07:24 AM

Default Two HD Native Cards?

Hi all due to an old Mac Pro dying that had three TDM PCIe cards (3 DigiLink ports) I wanted to switch over to my Native card but it only has 2 DigiLink ports.

Can I run two Native HD cards in one system?

What options exists for having three DigiLink ports?

Thanks
Rob
Old 03-06-2014, 08:06 AM

Default Re: Two HD Native Cards?

Not sure what you're trying to do, but you can daisy chain HD interfaces from the Digilink ports by using the Expansion ports on the interfaces themselves.

The HD Native card (or Thunderbolt unit) will do up to 64 I/O, achieved by using both ports, with an interface attached to each, and another interface attached to those interfaces' expansion ports.

If you are trying to use more than 4 interfaces, or more than 64 I/O, there is no way to use 2 HD Native cards (or units) like that.

Note that even HDX cards are also limited to 64 I/O and 4 interfaces. To get more I/O or interfaces you would need to add another HDX card. Just for future reference.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:03 AM

Default Re: Two HD Native Cards?

We have an HDX2 in our HD truck with 128-IO. It is AMAZING, but not cheap unless you follow an upgrade path. We did that moving from an HD4 (1-Core 3-Accel) and were so glad to get the update.