Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 12-12-2017, 06:19 PM

Default New guy here and looking for some advice

I was watching a review video last night and the gentleman said two things I'd like to verify. I should mention that I'll be using this unit live. I don't do any recording at all.
1."The Eleven Rack can be used as a head connected directly to a speaker."
2. you can use either a midi controller or(and I don't recall what he called this) an analog switching pedal to control the unit.
I'll need to procure a floor rig to switch between effects on the rack but I don't think I need to be able to change parameters and such on the fly.
So my questions are, do I need a power amp to run this through a speaker cab or can I run it through the cab without?
What are some options for a stompbox type pedalboards to control the unit? Is there something other than MIDI that'll do the trick.
Thanks guys be gentle please. I'm both new(to this) and old(in age).
Old 12-12-2017, 08:49 PM

Default Re: New guy here and looking for some advice

1- a POWERED speaker? Yes. The Eleven Rack has no internal power amplifier.
2-Any midi foot controller should work. Some options:
Behringer FCB1010
Voodoo Labs Ground Control or Ground Control Pro

Random Thoughts:
You might be happier with the Headrush Pedalboard. It takes the Eleven technology and stuffs it full of steroids(and it's already a complete foot controller, in addition to all the amp/cabinet/pedal emulations). Next up the ladder is the Line 6 Helix. After that, I would go for a Kemper(which CAN be bought with stereo power amps built in) but that's the high-priced solution
Most of these units work best when sent direct to the PA(which you could do and use some powered PA-style speakers for stage volume). I recommend you hit your nearest big music store and start playing these options(and check out youtube for lots of demo and tutorial videos)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-13-2017, 06:43 AM

Thanks Dave. Good info all. Appreciate you.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:51 AM

Without a midi floor controller, you are limited to a dual momentary switch OR an expression pedal to control parameters. Dual momentary switch can, as an example, do rig up/down, or can on/off blocks (distortion, modulation, delay, reverb, etc).

I just ordered a Midi Mongoose (but not received yet) which looks like a nice little midi foot controller for the price (I want something small). A guy is selling its Rocktron All Access for $400CAD in kijiji Montreal, which is a top notch solution.

As a reference, I play my 11R thru an EV ZLX12P and ZXA1 sub (I play bass also), powered PA top and sub.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodleboy View Post
I was watching a review video last night and the gentleman said two things I'd like to verify. I should mention that I'll be using this unit live. I don't do any recording at all.
1."The Eleven Rack can be used as a head connected directly to a speaker."
2. you can use either a midi controller or(and I don't recall what he called this) an analog switching pedal to control the unit.
I'll need to procure a floor rig to switch between effects on the rack but I don't think I need to be able to change parameters and such on the fly.
So my questions are, do I need a power amp to run this through a speaker cab or can I run it through the cab without?
What are some options for a stompbox type pedalboards to control the unit? Is there something other than MIDI that'll do the trick.
Thanks guys be gentle please. I'm both new(to this) and old(in age).
Just want to mention that I use mine live (just the FX into the FX loop of a Laboga and a 4*12") and control everything with a Behringer FCB1010 midi board with a Eurekaprom (really easy to install and made specifically for the 11R) and runs flawlessly.

Last edited by loaded; 12-18-2017 at 03:39 PM.