Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2016, 05:06 AM

Default PT 12 and MusicLab v4 VI Dilemma

I recently downloaded the v4 demos for MusicLab's VIs (RealLPC, RealStrat and RealEight) which all feature their new "double tracking" function that's meant to emulate double-tracking rhythm guitars. I first tested them out in AU Lab, and they worked as expected: when selecting, say, "RealLPC 2 stereo", it creates two instances of RealLPC being controlled by one MIDI channel/controller., and when "Double Tracking" is selected inside one of the instruments, you are playing through both instances simultaneously. You can then give each instance its own amp plug and you have a fair emulation of double-tracked rhythm guitars.

It should work this way in Pro Tools (and in Digital Performer, my other DAW, but that's a completely separate problem). I create a new stereo instrument track. From there, I select a multi-channel mono instrument version of RealLPC 2 (I've also tried doing this with the stereo instrument version), and while this appears to work a little better than the results in Digital Performer, I can only control the left-channel instrument with MIDI. Plus, both outputs are on the same track, meaning I can't put an amp sim on the individual channels, even if I could control both sides via MIDI. I'm sure there's something I'm overlooking here, since I assume people use multi-output VIs all the time (Superior Drummer, Kontakt, etc.) in PT.
Old 11-05-2016, 05:33 AM

Default Re: PT 12 and MusicLab v4 VI Dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazuzu View Post
I recently downloaded the v4 demos for MusicLab's VIs (RealLPC, RealStrat and RealEight) which all feature their new "double tracking" function that's meant to emulate double-tracking rhythm guitars. I first tested them out in AU Lab, and they worked as expected: when selecting, say, "RealLPC 2 stereo", it creates two instances of RealLPC being controlled by one MIDI channel/controller., and when "Double Tracking" is selected inside one of the instruments, you are playing through both instances simultaneously. You can then give each instance its own amp plug and you have a fair emulation of double-tracked rhythm guitars.

It should work this way in Pro Tools (and in Digital Performer, my other DAW, but that's a completely separate problem). I create a new stereo instrument track. From there, I select a multi-channel mono instrument version of RealLPC 2 (I've also tried doing this with the stereo instrument version), and while this appears to work a little better than the results in Digital Performer, I can only control the left-channel instrument with MIDI. Plus, both outputs are on the same track, meaning I can't put an amp sim on the individual channels, even if I could control both sides via MIDI. I'm sure there's something I'm overlooking here, since I assume people use multi-output VIs all the time (Superior Drummer, Kontakt, etc.) in PT.
There's a difference between multi-channel and multiple output vi's. There are times I use Kontakt where I'm hosting multiple instruments inside it and route those outputs to different output pairs. That's multiple output but NOT multi-channel. Historically non-HD PT before PT12 didn't do multi-channel without some fancy routing footwork inside PT. That's one thing that MOTU doesn't make that distinction inside DP (btw I've seen your post over in Motunation but can't respond there as I'm no longer a member there).

edit for additional: pay no attention to Polich's response. Rather than answer your question he just posts his opinion of double tracking. While true to a certain extent he doesn't take into account those who either can't play guitar or get a guitarist in and record stuff. And that's where vi's come into play and there isn't anything wrong with that.

QAPLA!
Old 11-05-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
There's a difference between multi-channel and multiple output vi's. There are times I use Kontakt where I'm hosting multiple instruments inside it and route those outputs to different output pairs. That's multiple output but NOT multi-channel. Historically non-HD PT before PT12 didn't do multi-channel without some fancy routing footwork inside PT. That's one thing that MOTU doesn't make that distinction inside DP (btw I've seen your post over in Motunation but can't respond there as I'm no longer a member there).

edit for additional: pay no attention to Polich's response. Rather than answer your question he just posts his opinion of double tracking. While true to a certain extent he doesn't take into account those who either can't play guitar or get a guitarist in and record stuff. And that's where vi's come into play and there isn't anything wrong with that.
I appreciate your answer, and for the record, Polich's answer on MOTUNation is the kind of elitist soapbox you get for asking any question over there (or inferring that DP is incapable of doing something). Not even sure why I'd bothered to ask, other than it had seemed to me that someone there had once figured out a workaround to get EZDrummer to use multiple outputs in DP via Bundles (which doesn't seem to be the case with MusicLab's instruments).

I was a little surprised that PT wasn't able to load RealLPC with multiple outputs, but I'm brand new to PT and .aax. For the record, it did better than DP and .au did.
Old 11-05-2016, 01:28 PM

Quote:
I appreciate your answer, and for the record, Polich's answer on MOTUNation is the kind of elitist soapbox you get for asking any question over there (or inferring that DP is incapable of doing something). Not even sure why I'd bothered to ask, other than it had seemed to me that someone there had once figured out a workaround to get EZDrummer to use multiple outputs in DP via Bundles (which doesn't seem to be the case with MusicLab's instruments).

I was a little surprised that PT wasn't able to load RealLPC with multiple outputs, but I'm brand new to PT and .aax. For the record, it did better than DP and .au did.
It's that kind of attitude why I left there. I'm sending you a PM on this as I don't want to clog up this forum with non-PT stuff.

QAPLA!
Old 11-05-2016, 08:33 PM

I have a feeling it applies here as well as DP -- as I stated in my reply to your very helpful PM, I think MusicLab's VIs aren't showing up as multi-output instruments the way they're supposed to. They show up as multiple instances in AU Lab, controlled by one MIDI channel. One instance is inactive until you select "Double tracking", and then, both instances respond. This is the only piece of software that I've gotten to do this. PT 12.6 seems to have the same problem.
Old 11-06-2016, 04:17 AM

Quote:
I have a feeling it applies here as well as DP -- as I stated in my reply to your very helpful PM, I think MusicLab's VIs aren't showing up as multi-output instruments the way they're supposed to. They show up as multiple instances in AU Lab, controlled by one MIDI channel. One instance is inactive until you select "Double tracking", and then, both instances respond. This is the only piece of software that I've gotten to do this. PT 12.6 seems to have the same problem.
Sad as I was looking at a couple of their libraries for real physical instruments I don't have access to. What good is a vi if it touts certain features but some don't work in certain daws?

QAPLA!