Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2019, 07:33 PM

Default Re: Embedding Loops in audio sample for import to sampler

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Donald:
Thanks for the explanation. Very clear. I've done samples but only as single shots that only play as long as the native sample is.

Editors of the 90s like Sound Designer and later Peak were designed to pull samples from a sampler so you could edit them adding and editing markers and loop points etc. graphically instead of having to do it from the front panel of the sampler.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 01-18-2019, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
Editors of the 90s like Sound Designer and later Peak were designed to pull samples from a sampler so you could edit them adding and editing markers and loop points etc. graphically instead of having to do it from the front panel of the sampler.

Ah, the good old days! All I really need is an editor that will allow me to do basic audio editing to a sample clip, set and embed seamless loop points and then export that as wave (or AIFF etc depending) with the edited info intact for import to whatever sampler I want to use. I am a bit disappointed that for all the other great audio editing features in PT, you can set and embed loop points in a clip.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjslakeridge View Post
Or you could just play it live, LOL.

Not sure what you mean? Before you can play anything live, you have to create the patch. To do that, I need to be able to prep and edit the sample I want to use to create the patch.

Or do you mean playing a live acoustic instrument? But I'm mostly not creating live instrument type patches, I'm going for more original type sounds.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Donald:
Thanks for the explanation. Very clear. I've done samples but only as single shots that only play as long as the native sample is.

Which is what a lot of folks do, and there's a lot you can do with that for sure. But, to do pads and other sounds that could be sustained over a few measures, you really need to do the loop thing. Structure works fairly well in that regard. The drawback is that it is not always easy to find the sweet spot using the Structure wave editor. Also, Structure doesn't have any sort of "Duplicate Part" function. I find this very annoying as quite often I'll import a set of multisamples to the first part layer in Structure. Edit the samples with loops, etc. But, now if I want to duplicate all that to have, say, 2 or 3 of the same part layered up for depth or whatever, there's no option to do that. So, I have to use all sorts of workarounds to accomplish that. I find that very annoying!

With a dedicated sample editor, I could take a set of multisamples, do all the edits at once. Then import those to as many part layers as I wish with the editing embedded.