Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 01-16-2019, 02:34 PM

Default Embedding Loops in audio sample for import to sampler

Is there a way to put embedded loops into an audio clip for import into a sampler. In this case I want to take a sample, create an embedded loop, and then import it into Omnisphere to create a sound. I can't see a way to do that with Pro Tools. If PT can't do it, is there some easy to use 3rd party software that can do it?

Unfortunately, Omnisphere doesn't have any way to edit the raw sample...a real limitation on their part to be sure.

I know I can set loop points in Structure, but I don't think the wave files can be exported with the embedded loop points intact for use elsewhere.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Anyone? Thanks

Old 01-16-2019, 04:50 PM

Default Re: Embedding Loops in audio sample for import to sampler

Not sure I understand what you mean by embedded loop in what you're trying to do. With a better explanation I might be able to help.

QAPLA!
Old 01-16-2019, 07:54 PM

I know of apps that can do this but they’re for Mac and you’re on Windows from memory.

Are you sure that Omnisphere can read this metadata though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2019, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
I know of apps that can do this but they’re for Mac and you’re on Windows from memory.

Are you sure that Omnisphere can read this metadata though?

Yes, Omnisphere does recognize any embedded loop data on a sample. Unfortunately, they don't provide any way to edit an imported sample the way you can with, say, Structure.

I discovered last night after posting this that if I import an edited sample with embedded loop directly from where I have my Structure patches samples, Omni will recognize the embedded loop. Effectively I can use Structure to edit and embed a loop for any sample I might want to prep for import into Omni. So, I guess I won't need a 3rd party sample editor after all!

What's odd, though, is if I use the workspace browser in PT and try to import the very same sample from the Structure patch sample file into PT, all I get is a blank clip! That's why originally I said you can't export edited samples from Structure.

For all the great features that Omni has, it is unfortunate that when they added the import your own sample feature, they didn't also provide any sample edit capability. Also, you can't import multisamples, so one sample is spread over the entire keyboard. If Omni would add a Structure-like sample edit window, that would be awesome!

Old 01-17-2019, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Not sure I understand what you mean by embedded loop in what you're trying to do. With a better explanation I might be able to help.

Thanks, Jack. See my reply to Sardi

Old 01-17-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Thanks, Jack. See my reply to Sardi
I did but I still don't understand the concept. Most things I can figure out but this has me stumped. The only embedded loop concept I understand is in computer programming.

QAPLA!
Old 01-17-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I did but I still don't understand the concept. Most things I can figure out but this has me stumped. The only embedded loop concept I understand is in computer programming.

Its probably just the terminology as I'm sure you're familiar with how samples work. Say you have a sample of a pad sound and you want to import that into a VI that allows you to import your own samples such as Omnisphere. As you know, all samples have a finite length in time, so lets say our pad is only 2 seconds long. But you want to be able to hold down the note and have the sample play for as long as the note is held. That where embedded loops come in. You can define a start and end point within the sample to create a loop so that when you play a note, the sample will start at the beginning but will continue to loop at whatever start/end point you set in the sample to create a nice long and (hopefully) seamless sound. Where you set those loop points is crucial, so you need good audio editing software designed to do that.

When you're done, you can export the file as a wave and in most cases, the loop info is "embedded" in the wave file. So when you import it to your sample VI, it will play the way you want it to.

Structure allows you to set loops per sample in the sample wave editor. Once you save the patch, the sample data keeps those loop points intact, embedded into the wave file. So, if I import one of them to Omnisphere, it will recognize the embedded loop and play accordingly.

There's a bunch of 3rd party software that will do this as well such as Wavosauer, and Yamaha's TX16Wx (those are freebies). There's some commercial software as well. Audacity does NOT do this.

The trick is finding the right start/end points to avoid clicks and pops. You need to be able to zoom way in and find the 0 points in the wave form where they cross from + to - or vice versa. Usually that will avoid any clicks/pops and other artifacts when playing the loop. So it takes a bit of finessing. Structure has a nice auto search feature to help you find the "sweet spot" for creating such a loop, but it doesn't always work out and you still have to do some finessing. You can also set X-fades at those loop points as well.

I can't see a way to do this directly with the audio editing in PT. Hence my post.

I hope this answers your question.

Old 01-17-2019, 02:45 PM

Donald:
Thanks for the explanation. Very clear. I've done samples but only as single shots that only play as long as the native sample is.

QAPLA!
Old 01-17-2019, 05:04 PM

Or you could just play it live, LOL.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjslakeridge View Post
Or you could just play it live, LOL.

??

That’s exactly what he’s probably doing.