Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 01-08-2019, 03:04 AM

Default Tempo mapping help

Hi guys

A session i had yesterday we track drums with the digital kit and the drummer struggled to play to a click. In the end i let the band play altogether and decided i would tempo map the session with identify beat. Everything is all good here so far but every no and then when the drummer does a drum fill he either speeds up or slows down quite a bit. What i'm trying to do is even out these fills but when i move the tempo of the bar to either slow it down or speed up it moves the tempo of the previous bar. Anyone on here shed some light advice on this and how i can just smooth out certain bars. At the moment im working with midi.

Thanks in advance

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 01-08-2019, 05:00 AM

Default Re: Tempo mapping help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul23 View Post
Hi guys

A session i had yesterday we track drums with the digital kit and the drummer struggled to play to a click. In the end i let the band play altogether and decided i would tempo map the session with identify beat. Everything is all good here so far but every no and then when the drummer does a drum fill he either speeds up or slows down quite a bit. What i'm trying to do is even out these fills but when i move the tempo of the bar to either slow it down or speed up it moves the tempo of the previous bar. Anyone on here shed some light advice on this and how i can just smooth out certain bars. At the moment im working with midi.

Thanks in advance

Hi,

Maybe try changing the track to samples mode instead of ticks.

Have you tried converting to audio and using beat detective

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:11 AM

Hi Chris

In samples the midi data doesn’t move if you change the tempo. It’s when in tick mode that if I try to change the tempo of one bar it changes the others.

I’ve not tried beat detective, must admit I’m not to familiar on how to work with that.

All I want to do is adjust the tempo of 1 bar. So if for example the piece is mainly floating around 120BPM but when he does a fill it goes to 110BMP for just that bar I want to increase the tempo so that it doesn’t sound like the song is dragging in that bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 01-08-2019, 09:10 AM

This would be the long way around, but the current version of Melodyne(outside of PT) can be used to smooth out tempo fluctuations(and boy I feel your pain). Sometimes, as a musician/engineer, I have to simply bite my tongue and let something sound like the players played it and give up on my idea of "right" or "perfect"

Back to Melodyne for an example: A friend's band uses some backing tracks in their live show and he had downloaded a midi file for a song and the midi was done to the original recording(with every tempo discrepancy included). At the gig, all the players had an awful time trying to follow the click that followed the track. I was able to drag the track into Melodyne, which analyzed and showed the erratic tempo, which I was then able to smooth out(probably went about 90-95% flat) and that made a huge difference for the band(of course, it would be best to fix the drums before anything else got recorded)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-08-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
This would be the long way around, but the current version of Melodyne(outside of PT) can be used to smooth out tempo fluctuations(and boy I feel your pain). Sometimes, as a musician/engineer, I have to simply bite my tongue and let something sound like the players played it and give up on my idea of "right" or "perfect"

Back to Melodyne for an example: A friend's band uses some backing tracks in their live show and he had downloaded a midi file for a song and the midi was done to the original recording(with every tempo discrepancy included). At the gig, all the players had an awful time trying to follow the click that followed the track. I was able to drag the track into Melodyne, which analyzed and showed the erratic tempo, which I was then able to smooth out(probably went about 90-95% flat) and that made a huge difference for the band(of course, it would be best to fix the drums before anything else got recorded)

Thanks Albee I have the latest version of melodyne, I upgraded to 4 but liked the way version 3 worked better. Is there no way of doing this in ProTools. I thought it would have just been a case of grabbing the tempo line for that bar, setting the midi to ticks and moving it up or down to change the tempo

Old 01-08-2019, 04:21 PM

Hi,

Ok i see what you're doing now. can't you just select the bar you're changing and use Event > Tempo and change just that bar. you also have options for the tempo change curve, constant/ stretch/ parabolic etc

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

Ok i see what you're doing now. can't you just select the bar you're changing and use Event > Tempo and change just that bar. you also have options for the tempo change curve, constant/ stretch/ parabolic etc

Chris

That’s the one Crizdee!!! Thank you so much another awesome tip/trick added to my ProTools knowledge