Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 12-26-2018, 05:22 AM

Default Bluray in a 2012 MacPro cheesegrater

Been looking to add a Bluray burner/reader to my 2012 MacPro cheesegrater running OSX 10.12.6. I want it not so much for storage of files but to play movies on. Now I've done the research and know that for some odd reason Apple doesn't have native support for this. In the research I've also found that to be able to play Bluray movies you need auxiliary s/w to do so.

From that research I found that there appears to be just one program
https://www.macblurayplayer.com/
that will work but it needs to be connected to the net to decrypt the video. Thing is I like to keep my daw machine off the net as much as possible. I've also come across numerous reviews of said s/w and it appears to not be all that stable. And after reading the FAQ for the s/w it looks like something I can't say here but contains the word 'cluster'.

It seems the easiest part is installing the bluray drive is the easy part. Getting it work work as a movie player seems to be the issue. Has anyone done this and if so how'd it work for you (or not)? What s/w did you use to get it to work?

Or am I on a fool's errand doing this?

The whole reason is so I don't have another piece of h/w floating around the place which is already cramped. If that is my only choice I've found a couple of external players that would normally go with one's living room a/c setup that are all-region players. Why is all-region a thought you ask? Over the past year or so I've gotten several dvd's that were mismarked as region 1 but were anything but region 1. And several dvd's I'd like don't come in region 1.

Open to options if someone has a good one.

QAPLA!
Old 01-06-2019, 10:04 PM

Default Re: Bluray in a 2012 MacPro cheesegrater

Blu-ray Player Pro (what you have listed) is what I use. I'm not sure, but I think the Pro version doesn't require an internet connection - I've never had any issues with it but I only own 1 Blu-ray set - the Beatles 1. Blu-ray Player Pro plays it fine.

Pro Tools 2024.3

Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 01-07-2019, 05:16 AM

Default Re: Bluray in a 2012 MacPro cheesegrater

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsand View Post
Blu-ray Player Pro (what you have listed) is what I use. I'm not sure, but I think the Pro version doesn't require an internet connection - I've never had any issues with it but I only own 1 Blu-ray set - the Beatles 1. Blu-ray Player Pro plays it fine.
I've quite a few BluRay dvd's so it's not a trivial deal for me. On their FAQ page there's a number of things that point to having to have an internet connection. Just one is in the video & audio section where someone asks about why the video freezes 4 to 5 seconds when trying to play a BluRay movie. Basically the answer is the program needs 4 to 5 seconds to remove the Bluray protection with the network and as of now their servers are only in the US. There's another in the Performance section about failing to connect to verification server.

What's confusing is that further down in an answer to another question they say the Pro version doesn't need internet connection now. In the above items I mentioned they make no mention of Pro versus regular versions.

Also what I can't find is if they only play region 1/A dvd's. In my research for multi-region players I found that no company directly sells them but rather they are unlocked by a third party - that's the answer I got from B&H. And then you only get a warranty from the seller in B&H's case that's 90 days and not the manufacturer's warranty.

QAPLA!