How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series

Old 10-30-2013, 01:59 PM
Avid

Default Using Bonjour Browser to troubleshoot EUCON 3

EUCON 3 Bonjour Browser

There is a free tool that is very helpful when determining the source connection issues for EUCON 3.

Bonjour Browser: https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/13388/bonjour-browser
There is a Windows version available also. Google Knows.

So here are the things to look for:

_euconproxy._tcp

- this is the service that Artist Surfaces use to connect to EuControl. In the image you can see My Artiwst Mix connected and it displays a link-local address (169.254.123.223). In this case it is set to use DHCP however it is connected via a switch so no DCHP is available. This is why you see link-local address.
- if surfaces are not connecting to EuControl this is the first place to check. If Bonjour Browser doesn’t see it, we won’t see it either and it is a network setup issue outside of EUCON world.

_eudof._tcp

- this is the big change from EUCON 2 to 3. These are the core elements that makes DAWs, Workstations and EuControl, etc talk to each other. This is not used for any Artist Surface connection but rather connecting to DAW and Workstations.
- in eudof there are various services to look for:

EUCON_MC
- EuControl on your local machine will appear as EUCON_MC.
- Any other instance of either MC App (the application that runs on MC Pro) EuControl on other machines will also appear here as EUCON_MC entries. The IP address tells you which machine it lives on.
- In the image you can see my instance of EuControl as EUCON_MC, it also has a link-local IP address (same reason as explained above).

EUCON_Node_Browser
- Any EUCON enabled Application on the network will create two instances of this. In this case I have ProTools 11 running locally only.

EUCON_Node_Observer
- this is created by MC_Client. It still runs in the background. This is needed to "see" the other EUCON nodes on the network. If this is not there you will not be able to see workstations or EUCON aware apps as EUCON nodes. In turn no EUCON connection when you focus on the app.

EUCON_Workstation
- This is also created by MC_Client in the background. This is what puts the workstation (local machine) on the network as a viable EUCON node for EuControl (or other EUCON_MC nodes) to attach to it.
- again if this is missing you will not have any app focus awareness, or EUCON connection to EUCON aware apps running on the workstation.

Old 10-30-2013, 03:55 PM
Avid

Default Re: Using Bonjour Browser to troubleshoot EUCON 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarbyshirebryant View Post
Thanks for this Daniel - in an amazing bit of synchronicity I had just downloaded 'Bonjour Browser' for Windows not more than 20 minutes ago to learn a bit more about all the zeroconf stuff on my network.

Make this a sticky?
Yup. Sticky would be good.
I post from Tapatalk so I'm not sure how. In fact no idea if I have those kind of powers around here. Lol
Old 11-02-2013, 10:36 AM

Stuck as per Daniel's desire.

Parroted on my iPad with Tapasquawk.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 12-15-2013, 04:19 PM
Avid

Default Using Bonjour Browser to troubleshoot EUCON 3

Quote:
Those of an iphone/iPad persuasion may be interested in the 'discovery - bonjour browser' app, a freebie on the App Store which displays bonjour services on your connected network.
Nice. Gonna try this out. I imagine It will only be helpful if the WiFi is on the same subnet as the EUCON network. Not hard to do and not uncommon on home routers by default.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks for this Daniel - in an amazing bit of synchronicity I had just downloaded 'Bonjour Browser' for Windows not more than 20 minutes ago to learn a bit more about all the zeroconf stuff on my network.

Make this a sticky?
Do you have a link for the Windows 7 Pro download version?
Old 01-22-2019, 02:06 PM

Just a heads up, this software has been updated/renamed to run on modern MacOS, is available through the apple/mac app store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/disc...81004916?mt=12