Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 04-11-2007, 02:50 PM

Default Can\'t get sound from computer to speakers

I have a protools mix plus system on a g4 quicksilver. I can get the sound from the keyboards and mic to show up on the protools screen in record mode, but can't get anything to playback. I was told to go to system preferences in the sound category to set it up but it says the selected device has no input or output controls. I can only get sound to play throuh one of my speakers too when it's in the standalone mode. I went to get an adapter or something to connect from my sound card to the 888 or the behringer mixer eurorack ub802 but was told it should work through system preferences since i have the cable connecting the core card to the computer through the 888 24 i/o. I have been trying to get this system to work forever and am grateful it is at least picking up the signals now, i just need this last step to have it working properly, Although the mic is connected to a phonic t8100 preamp, I can't get it to setup in the setup window. I'm a newbie at this and it's confusing to me on how to get it all synced together. I have a motu timepiece, but i'm not using it at this point.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:37 PM

Default Re: Can\'t get sound from computer to speakers

It is unclear whether you have access to the documentation that should accompany your system.

If you don’t, you can (and should) download it all from Digidesign’s web site. Be sure to download the documentation for the version of the ProTools software currently installed on your system.

With documentation at hand, follow the steps outlined in the “Getting Started” document and — if applicable (read it to find out) — the “Expanded Systems Guide.”

To address your specific issue…

You were given bad a advice when told to visit your System Preferences’ Sound panel (obviously by someone who doesn’t know ProTools).

In order to function properly, ProTools needs to have its Inputs and Outputs “defined” in the software’s “Hardware Setup,” and “I/O Setup” windows, both. If unclear, read the documentation’s chapters about the above. (Note that the .pdf versions of every Digidesign manual is searcheable, making their use very, very efficient.)

Lastly…

As a newbie (your words, but your use of terminology makes it clear) you face a rather steep learning curve. Consider hiring someone locally to at least get you started — initial steps are always the hardest and it’s a whole lot less frustrating to learn things with a working system at hand.

IHTH.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 04-11-2007, 05:19 PM

If anyone can give me some explicit advice I think I would prefer it over what seems to be lecturing with no real help given.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:52 PM

Andre gave good advice. Do your homework. This community is very generous, but help will not be given if not appreciated.
Pete
Old 04-11-2007, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Andre gave good advice. Do your homework. This community is very generous, but help will not be given if not appreciated.
Pete
yeah, I'm going to have to agree. The advice Andre gave is good and enough to fix the problem you're asking about. By reading the documentation and threads at the top of the forums, you can learn a lot from reading and searching the forum. Its a help us help you forum.
64GB RAM
HDX I/O 16x16 Analog
HDX I/O 8x8x8
Old 04-11-2007, 06:20 PM

Quote:
If anyone can give me some explicit advice I think I would prefer it over what seems to be lecturing with no real help given.
i am with everyone else.

you'd be surprised at what good advice you got.

you're a studio owner now. and chief technician. and head engineer. learn how it works. teach yourself some basics about this program you just got. instead of getting a handout (and in a way,m it is hard to do given your vague description of what you are trying to do), reading the manual may tell you all kinds of other things you needed to know that you didn't know you needed to know.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 04-11-2007, 08:23 PM

Since I bought all of my equipment used, it came with no such info.Therefore that doesn't help me at all. If it was helpful, I would say so and thank him. Since it didn't help at all, I need someone who can explain it to me since it seems to be set up properly or nothing would be going into it. I'm not ungrateful when given advice I can use. I went through the trouble of printing the almost 700 page reference guide which doesn't give the info either. If I can get help here fine, if not, fine. It's amazing that saying hire someone is useful info when it's probably something minor. I thought this was supposed to be a place where someone like me could get help not a lot of people telling me what a terrible person I am for asking for help here.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:35 AM

OK, you say you've downloaded the "Reference Guide". That tells you how to use the software. To learn how to setup the hardware, you need the "Getting Started" guide that Andre mentioned, and the "Expanded Systems" guide.

This isn't a one-click process, and everyone here on the DUC has been exactly where you are at some point in their lives. There's a lot of facets to learn about, so you might as well settle back, brew up some coffee and start reading. Or if you don't have the time, hiring somebody for an hour or two (or three or four) to help get you going is also a good suggestion. Once you make it through some of the learning curve, you'll realize why you're getting these type of answers. The people on the DUC aren't salesmen or diplomats, they're engineers who are exactly the people you need to talk to right now.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Since I bought all of my equipment used, it came with no such info.Therefore that doesn't help me at all. If it was helpful, I would say so and thank him. Since it didn't help at all, I need someone who can explain it to me since it seems to be set up properly or nothing would be going into it. I'm not ungrateful when given advice I can use. I went through the trouble of printing the almost 700 page reference guide which doesn't give the info either. If I can get help here fine, if not, fine. It's amazing that saying hire someone is useful info when it's probably something minor. I thought this was supposed to be a place where someone like me could get help not a lot of people telling me what a terrible person I am for asking for help here.
Well all the documents you need are here:
Archived Documents

Obviously its not such a small matter if you cannot figure it out for yourself. You should have the TDM cards placed in the correct order in your computer, the correct cable connecting from the TDM card to your Digi interface, audio cabling of some sort connecting the Digi interface to your powered speakers or mixer. When you initialize Pro Tools you should be able to set your hardware settings as well as your I/O settings from within Pro Tools.

15" Macbook Pro R 2.6 i7 Quad/16GB RAM/OS X 10.10.5
27" iMac 2.8 i7 Quad/16GB RAM/OS X 10.10.5
Studio One 3/Reason 8/Live 9/Logic Pro 9/Main Stage 3