Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2013, 05:23 PM

Default Split snake options...

So I've been racking my brain for a while trying to find the best split snake option without breaking the bank. I know a few of you guys are using your rigs for mobile recording; so what are you using? Rackmount split? or Drop snake?

I am NOT, absolutely NOT, interested in a passive split. I've priced out building a split with Jensen transformers, but it's WAY out of my price range. What I'm looking to do is get a 8ch split for now with the ability to move up to 16ch split if things take off (but that would also require 8ch more of pre's for the rig). When I'm not using the rig at mobile folk festival remote gigs, I want to use the split at home in the studio to split to my Nuendo rig with a 16ch mixer front end for drum monitoring.

I've looked into the ART S8, which is a 2way 8ch isolated split that is affordable( http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Split8/ ). I just hate how the inputs are on the front panel. I'm still leaning towards this option regardless, but have an email out to Whirlwind, ProCo, and Rapco to see what they have in the custom realm. A friend of mine that does FOH for some heavier hitters suggested Radial products, but they are extremely expensive.

As previously mentioned, I'm interested to hear what some of my peers here are using.

Cheers,
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 07-07-2013, 05:46 PM

Default Re: Split snake options...

I think you will find those other companies are in the same price range

Would you consider used? Try some rental companies to see if they are selling some old gear.

For the record Transformers are passive devices.

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 07-07-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
I think you will find those other companies are in the same price range

Would you consider used? Try some rental companies to see if they are selling some old gear.

For the record Transformers are passive devices.
I have contacted a few of my friends that work touring and for back line outfits; no one seems to be looking to get rid of them. SOrry for mis-speaking, I'm well aware that a transformer is a passive device. I shoud've been more clear that I'm looking for an ISOLATED SPLIT and NOT a HARD wired split (which most budget stage companies use when they're providing power distro for the stage, therefore, reducing the likelyhood of ground issues; also makes it hard to find a quality split)

Where I'm located (literally the middle of British Columbia, Canada), our stages have substandard power setups (let alone dedicated power distribution). This makes it hard to find 'backline' or 'rental' companies within 600km's that are looking to get rid of their isolated splits. I've reverted to calling on my friends in bigger centres (Toronto, Vancouver) to keep their eyes peeled, to no avail.

So, I'm curious to see what PT users are using in their setups and getting transparent results.

I do appreciate your input; be it passive, passive/isolated or active :P

Cheers.
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 07-07-2013, 09:03 PM

Don't want to be too fuzzy, but transformer isolated splitters are passive. I reckon what you don't want is parallel split?

Both, parallel and transformer isolated splits will result in a degradation of sound due to one microphone source driving two or more loads (=mic-preamps). Parallel splits can also lead to ground issues, this is where trannies help to isolate the loads galvanically.

Every proper solution better than parallel will cost you $$$. Have you got a chance to compare the ART splitter against a Jensen or Lundahl? There is a reason why so many engineers decide for the later options.

You may want to consider an active split. If you have preamps on stage you can split their outputs parallel without any worries about loading etc. Ground may still be an issue.
However, some FOH engineers sh*t a brick when someone tries to plug something active between their console and the mics.

I don't see any cheap possibilities that also sounds excellent. Sorry.

For your studio, don't use a mic split for drum-monitoring. Give the musician a split from a line source. This way you don't loose signal quality.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Jan

AVID Certified Instructor
Old 07-08-2013, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_daw View Post
the best split snake option (...) few of you guys are using your rigs for mobile recording; so what are you using?
Best splitter is to not use a splitter at all. What preamps are you using? Do they have AD converters? Can converters be retrofitted?

I use such preamps that can output both analog and digital. I use analog for the live gig and record the digital signal. So the preamp splits it "for free". Of course you need to buy extra converters if the boxes do not have any.

What I use is listed in my profile.

Of course; as someone so eloquently said, some FOH engineers create bricks if they have to accept line level inputs to their console and tweak the preamp level from another rack...

Last edited by JFreak; 07-08-2013 at 05:03 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 07-08-2013, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Have you got a chance to compare the ART splitter against a Jensen or Lundahl?
I haven't, again, I live in a small community so it's not much for options.

Quote:
For your studio, don't use a mic split for drum-monitoring. Give the musician a split from a line source. This way you don't loose signal quality.
I have tried an option similar to this. I use the Pre-amps on my Saffire Pro 40; so I tried to route the outputs (analogue) back into a TRS snake and into the line input on the drum monitor mixer that is 1/2tapped on the inserts to send signal to a Delta 1010lt on a PC nuendo rack. I end up with a horrendous hum and little to no signal.

Quote:
I use such preamps that can output both analog and digital. I use analog for the live gig and record the digital signal. So the preamp splits it "for free". Of course you need to buy extra converters if the boxes do not have any.
Unfortunately, what I'm looking to do is just rob 8ch's from FOH or Monitor land without pi**sing anyone off. I toured for years doing FOH or Monitors, so I know what it's like to have someone 'f' with your signal chain. Ideally, the engineers will have a board that has direct outs. This isn't always the case, and the idea of putting my Pre between me and them will not be a selling feature unless I'm the one doing FOH.

Quote:
Don't want to be too fuzzy, but transformer isolated splitters are passive. I reckon what you don't want is parallel split?
I'm guessing that you were writing this at the same time that I wrote my reply, as I acknowledged that what I'm looking for isn't a hard wired split, but an ISOLATED split. Also acknowledged that I know that transformers are also passive.

Thanks for the tips guys, so no one is using a Radial splitter, or ART splitter or the like? You're all dealing with digital boards or have higher end pre's with direct outs? Or just not splitting the signal at all?

Off to work in the sun

Last edited by dr_daw; 07-08-2013 at 06:45 AM. Reason: clearification
Old 07-12-2013, 05:46 PM

I ended up going with a custom built split from Rapco, they build splits for CBC and CTV up here Canada. My Canadian friends, if you're looking for cables and such; I went through Slygoosecables. Great deals.