Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2015, 01:39 PM

Default Sound playing back through Midi Keyboard?

Hi all!

Hopefully someone can help me with this one. Basically I have a Yamaha Midi keyboard set up with M-Audio Interface into my Samsung computer. When I set up the track for Midi and record my keys, the play back comes out through the keyboard (not my headphones) and if I then record vocals on a new track and press play back, I can hear vocals through head phones and the keyboard through the keyboard. So both sounds are seperated during playback. THen I see that people try to record their midi keyboard through Stereo instrument track, so I try this and it picks up but when I press playback, there is no sound what so ever, though it has picked up on the system that I have played keys.

I need help asap pleaassee :) And keep the explanations as simple as possible please :) THanks guys!! Appreciate any help I can get.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:37 AM

Default Re: Sound playing back through Midi Keyboard?

What are you recording with the keyboard, and how is it connected(midi cables, or USB)? Assuming you are using the keyboard to trigger plugin instruments, just turn the keyboard volume off(it should not affect the midi stream). I suspect that you have midi traveling in both directions, so your keyboard is simply "playing" whatever internal sound is selected, from the midi you recorded into the session

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-08-2015, 02:18 PM

Try and insert a virtual instrument plugin like Xpand on the instrument track, and mute the keyboard with its volume knob, like dave said.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:22 PM

Hey guys, thanks a million for that, I will try those options. Yeah I have 2 midi cables from keyboard to interface. The only thing is that when it is all connected up and I'm recording the keys, I can't hear through headphones as I am playing, it doesn't come through then either. SO if I turn my keyboard down, I won't be able to hear what I am playing at all. I will try what you both suggested though, perhaps it will change when I try these things. Will let you know :)
Old 11-09-2015, 05:05 PM

So so you have the keyboard connected via midi AND audio or just midi?

In order to hear any audio thru your interface and then record the actual audio in PT you have to connect both midi and audio to and from the keyboard.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-09-2015, 05:13 PM

Setup > Preferences > MIDI

Set the Default Thru Instrument to "First Selected Midi Track"

It sounds like you're using some kind of arranger keyboard with an internal sound module and speakers. Turn off the keyboards internal sound module, unless you want to hear the virtual instrument in pro tools AND the keyboard's speakers.