Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 11-06-2015, 04:48 PM

Default Need advice on how to split up a long continuous region

Hey all, long time no post.

I've just bought a phono preamp so that I can record my vinyl albums and 45s into Pro Tools and then burn CDs. I've got the phono preamp outs going into 002Rack inputs 7 & 8, and I have these coming up as two mono audio tracks in a new Pro Tools session for recording.

All good so far. Let's say that my vinyl LP has 5 tracks on side one. I just leave Pro Tools in "record" mode for the entire side of the record, meaning that I have a continuous region once the side has been recorded in full. When I "bounce to disk" I get a l-o-o-o-o-ng single track........

What I want to be able to do is make each song from the record accessible individually on the final burnt CD, so I can move from song to song in the normal way (using "next" or "previous" buttons on CD player). At the moment, my CD player recognises only 1 song on the CD - this is the continuous region, containing all 5 songs from the record.

Any ideas as to the best way to achieve this in Pro Tools???

Cheers.
Old 11-06-2015, 05:53 PM

Default Re: Need advice on how to split up a long continuous region

Park the cursor where you want the cut to be and press B (keyboard focus must be on)

do this so that each song is its own clip. Select them in the Clip bin and choose Export Selected as files.

You might experiment with Strip Silence to help speed this process up.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 11-07-2015, 10:40 AM

Drew's method will work fine and is good advice, but might I suggest a CD Prep tool such as Audiofile Engineering's Triumph which will allow you to mark up the single file and burn a CD directly?

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6

Last edited by Rich Breen; 11-07-2015 at 04:52 PM.
Old 11-07-2015, 04:45 PM

Thanks gentlemen.
Old 11-08-2015, 05:33 AM

If you must use PT, then my method is fine, but as Rich pointed out, there might be other stand alone apps that are better suited. DSP Quattro being another.

Also, depending on how important these transfers are for you, you might consider using a unit with better A/D conversion than the 002. It was a fine prosumer unit in its day, but if you want to do these transfers once and have them sound the best the absolutely can, it's something to think about.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.