Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2002, 09:39 AM

Default PT with external mixer - What do you think of this setup?

Even though I have had my DIGI for about 8 months, I still have not used it. But, that is going to change!!! I posted here months ago about using a mixer with my DIGI and received some good suggestions. I am going to describe how I want to connect it and see what you guys think. I have zero experience with this stuff really.

Here is my list of equipment:

DigiDesign DIGI 001
Yamaha MD8 Mini Disc Recorder
Alesis D4 Drum Module
E-mu Proteus3 World Synth Module
Korg M3r Synth Module
Behringer V-Amp2 (for electric guitar)
Acoustic Electric with preamp built-in
Couple of mics for vocals or mic'ing my guitar rig

My goal is to record with the DIGI while using the mixer section of the MD8 to allow permenant connection of my equipment and no latency recording. Here is some mixer info from the MD8 manual.

The mixer section features eight mono input channels, two stereo inputs, and four groups.

Input channels 1 through 8 feature phone jack MIC/LINE inputs and continuously variable GAIN controls, which can handle both microphone and line-level signals with ease.

Input channels 1 and 2 also have XLR-type inputs, switchable +48 V phantom powering (for use with condenser microphones), and inserts for patching external processors.

2TR IN connection for confidence monitoring and playback with a master recorder.

Flexible monitoring of group, CUE, stereo bus, or 2TR IN.

Track direct outputs for connection to another mixer. These phono jacks are used to send the track signals to another mixer. This is useful when you use the MD8 in conjunction with a larger mixer. Connect them to the line inputs on the other mixer. With no disc loaded, the DIRECT OUTs 1–4 output the signals of Groups 1–4.

So, here is my idea.

Route MD Direct Outs 1-4 to inputs 5,6,7 and 8 on the DIGI. Route the DIGI monitor out to the MD8 2TR inputs. This way, anything I have plugged into my MD8 can be routed to the DIGI by assigning it to one of the 4 groups. Plus, I have inputs 1,2,3 and 4 available on the DIGI.

Almost all of my recording will be one instrument at a time. Does it make any sense to hook it up this way?

Thanks,

Richard
Old 07-11-2002, 06:44 AM

Default Re: PT with external mixer - What do you think of this setup?

Bump.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Richard
Old 07-11-2002, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Warren:
Bump.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Richard
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">i run an xp1800+ system. my buffer is always set at 128 and i record 24bit 44.1. i never have latency problems, even with the "low latency monitoring mode" off. i think you may be adding in un-needed gear. i also understand that mini dsk players compress the signal, which affect the sound quality.
Old 07-11-2002, 10:50 AM

This is very simular to the set up I use. I use a Mackie CFX16. I have it plugged in to 001 inputs 5,6,7, and 8. This lets me have everything pluged in at once and not have to keep plugging and unpluging equipment. I just assign the a channel to one of the 4 outputs. I plug the mics into 1 and 2. This lets me use 6 inputs at once without shuffling cables. I do this strictly because it makes it easier on me. If I needed 8 inputs or less I probably would not use the Mackie.
Old 07-11-2002, 01:19 PM

Link worked great. If I didn't already have a mixer I'd seriously consider one of those deals...
(You can also insert a link by clicking URL in your Post A Reply window, and paste the address in the pop-up box, then click OK, a new box opens you can use to name the link like this: MINISTORE
Old 07-12-2002, 12:14 AM

I can't conceive of not using a mixer if you're going into any of the inputs of 3 on up, since the 001 has no provision of controlling your input level.
The faders in PT only control your monitor level.

So if your yamaha Minidisk has 'straight through' signal path (doesn't record to minidisk before providing output signal) then it aught to work without imparting any ATRAC encoding. Sounds like a mondo minidisk recorder.

In fact, once I hit 'add reply' I'm going to go look at that unit.

There is going to be some latency inside the computer box; but you should be able to monitor off the Yamaha mix without any.

As far as the Route the DIGI monitor out to the MD8 2TR inputs ...why not use the balanced 001 main outputs? 's what I do, anyhoo.

Sounds like a nice system!
Old 07-12-2002, 12:55 AM

Thanks for all of the replies. It is my understanding that the MD8 has 8 Direct Outs if it has a MiniDisc in the recorder, or 4 Group outs (through Direct Outs 1-4) if no disc is in the machine. The way I see it, the direct outs would not be compressed. I do not think the audio is compressed until it is sent to the recorder section. I am pretty sure mixer section is analog so I do not think there would be any compression unless I recorded to MiniDisc.

The MD8 seems to have a pretty nice mixer, one reason I bought it in the first place. Of course, I would not buy it for use with the Digi 001 but since I already had it, it seemed better than letting it collect dust or selling it for next to nothing.

Here is a link to the Yamaha page. I hope it works since I have never posted links before.

http://www.yamaha.com/cgi-win/webcgi.../?gMTR00008MD8

Richard