Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2012, 01:18 PM

Default Upgrading Old TDM Mix System

Hey Everyone,

My studio has been running PT 5.1.3 TDM os9 on a g4 tower for 10+ years. We use....

2x 888 I/O
1 1622 I/O
1 expansion chasis with 5 mix cards 2 DSP cards

This has been our primary tracking and mix rig since we opened. It hasn't been cost effective for us to upgrade to new hardware and software. We have been extremely happy with our stable rig. I do have a macbook pro with PT9 and Logic Pro with a firewire interface in case we have to use it. I want to upgrade our system but can't justify the cost.

What would be the best and equivalent way to upgrade our gear to something that will work just as well on an intel G5 or Mac Pro? I'd be happy with any version from 7.4 onward. I'd love to use the newer features and plugins for mixing. I've tried tracking on my legacy system and mixing on my macbook 2.4ghz pro laptop but our sessions are just so huge that it bogs down my laptop.

A new rig that would be able to track and mix as well as our legacy mix3 rig would be great. Is it even possible or worth the cost though?
Old 01-23-2012, 02:57 PM

Default Re: Upgrading Old TDM Mix System

Are you looking to replace your mix system, or add another system?

I would look at either used HD systems if you want TDM plugins, or if you want to buy new - a mac pro with HD native is a good setup for a decent price, you can trade in your mix core for the native card and get a good discount, and still be able to sell off the rest of your mix system. You have enough cards that I bet you could just about break even on the trade up to the HD native card and PT10... Then you just need to buy an interface.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?