How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2011, 07:08 AM

Default HDx First Impressions

Just wanted to share.

It took the usual amount of time to install the card and register. The 10.1 download was smooth.

I pulled up a blank session and brought in about 16 tracks from a PT9 session. I set 6 GB aside for timeline cache which was more than enough for this session. Everything ran smoothly and I pulled out all EQ/dynamics that were RTAS and put in the new channel strip.

Chanel strip sounds good to me and I can see using it alot. 16 strips all ran on one chip and there was room for more. RTAS performance seems better as well with the remaining RTAS plugs.

One thing that was disappointing is that very few plugs are actually coded for AAX DSP. No reverb. A few delays and EQ and stuff I don't need.

So while I'm excited by the system and it's working fine, the included DSP plugs are a short list.

Still very smooth operation.

Carl

PS I didn't find the fan to be too loud in my system and could easily record in that room with a little baffling.
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:30 AM

Default Re: HDx First Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Lie View Post

One thing that was disappointing is that very few plugs are actually coded for AAX DSP. No reverb. A few delays and EQ and stuff I don't need.

Hi

Are all the Avid plugins that were TDM not available as AAX DSP? All the Digi rack plugs etc!!

That would be very disappointing

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:57 AM

I'll make a list. It's about 12 plugs.

I downloaded, Real Tape, Pultec and Smack all of which I had licenses for RTAS and both the Real Tape and Pultec showed up under DSP but my Smack didn't authorize, perhaps because it wasn't TDM.

I also downloaded BREVERB 2 with the AAX version and as I suspected it's just AAX native, no DSP.

I need an amp plug DSP and a decent reverb and I'm good for now.

The main thing for me is that it's stable and using the channel strip has cut back on native processing.

Long way to go but I'm generally impressed.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:05 PM

Just tried HEAT. Took a bit to figure it out. Sounds good when not over done.

C