Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2010, 07:42 PM

Default General consensus PT9

I have had pt9 for a couple of weeks now, haven't even messed with it yet cause I'm waiting on a new desk to put my monitors on. I will be tracking a band in a couple of weeks and I hope I don't run into any snags during the session? hows things working for everyone?

Old 12-02-2010, 07:48 PM

Default Re: General consensus PT9

Mine's been mixed - set up my laptop with my A&H Zed-R16 at home for tracking a band - worked like a charm!! Got to the recording space (the bands rehersal room) the next day & Nada - PT would launch but not record, playback anything - lucky I had set up reaper "just in case" - did all the tracking on reaper!

Mixing & editing on my desktop system so far is all good!!!
Old 12-02-2010, 07:49 PM

The worst thing u can do is wait to use it @ the last minute..

For me "now" its like all prior versions were (very stable).. but the 1st week, HORRIBLE!!!!!!

Edit: issues I had were due to me not running on Legacy.. once I got legacy going, its been Tamara on my lap with Pizza Hut & Papa Johns good

Sent from Epic 4G Using Tapatalk on'eim...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 12-02-2010, 07:52 PM

Personally, I had no "1st week" troubles.

I have not had a single crash, no weird errors, no stutters, no problems opening anything... it just works.

I'm still a little shocked every time I run it... The stability has been nothing short of brilliant.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 12-02-2010, 09:28 PM

Smile Re: General consensus PT9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keybeeetsss View Post
The worst thing u can do is wait to use it @ the last minute...
Well said. I've got a pretty stable 8.0.1 cs2 build running now and tracked a band today and also monday this week. (at 32 buffers and no hickups I might add!) Why haven't I installed PT 9 yet?

I haven't had a 2 or 3 day period to do a clean OS install, get plugs installed and auth'd, ect.... and even when I do , I'll still have my PT 8 drive ready to boot from just in case.

If you have paying work coming up and not the time to properly set up and test - wait till you do !
Old 12-03-2010, 02:56 AM

I picked up PT9 on the 2nd day it was out and still have yet to get it running right but I'm getting closer. I finally got the performance much improved with my UAD2 quad, but now I'm having this consistent crashing issue with save or save as. Seem if I call up a session with fairly high UAD2 usage about 1 in 20 or 30 saves will crash the system hard.

I've been going through my system and did discover two big issues that I corrected. One was my UAD2 install was somehow off, and the LEDs on the UAD card were not showing the typical patterns. A full uninstall and reinstall fixed that, and I went from a minimum of 1024 samples working down to a low 128 now. 2nd it turned out that my OCZ ram memory was throwing errors, and I just changed the ram out for Corsair and that issue seems to have gone away and memtest+ on the new ram shows up clean. I've since reinstalled all my audio software but still have the save crashes issues in PT9. It's possible that the bad ram I had caused some corruption of my Windows 7 64 bit install, though I wasn't having any issues running Reaper and Sonar on the system even with the flalky ram and somewhat off UAD2 install. Any way it appears that PT9 is pickier about it's environment than my other two DAWs.

I be interested to know if anyone has any save issues? It seems that the save function is the quickest way I can tempt it to crash.

Plugin wise I think my modest list of plugins are all thought to be ok with PT, being Waves Renaissance collection, Melodyn Editor, and one UAD2 quad.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:07 AM

So far so good. even played around with the built in Digitranslator :)

Lovein it. Love the new shortcut for new playlists and being able to create a send>aux track on the fly.

This is how pro tools should have been. I think this is the beginning of a very very nice relationship with Avid and the rest of the world.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geetarpicker View Post
I picked up PT9 on the 2nd day it was out and still have yet to get it running right but I'm getting closer. I finally got the performance much improved with my UAD2 quad, but now I'm having this consistent crashing issue with save or save as. Seem if I call up a session with fairly high UAD2 usage about 1 in 20 or 30 saves will crash the system hard.

I've been going through my system and did discover two big issues that I corrected. One was my UAD2 install was somehow off, and the LEDs on the UAD card were not showing the typical patterns. A full uninstall and reinstall fixed that, and I went from a minimum of 1024 samples working down to a low 128 now. 2nd it turned out that my OCZ ram memory was throwing errors, and I just changed the ram out for Corsair and that issue seems to have gone away and memtest+ on the new ram shows up clean. I've since reinstalled all my audio software but still have the save crashes issues in PT9. It's possible that the bad ram I had caused some corruption of my Windows 7 64 bit install, though I wasn't having any issues running Reaper and Sonar on the system even with the flalky ram and somewhat off UAD2 install. Any way it appears that PT9 is pickier about it's environment than my other two DAWs.

I be interested to know if anyone has any save issues? It seems that the save function is the quickest way I can tempt it to crash.

Plugin wise I think my modest list of plugins are all thought to be ok with PT, being Waves Renaissance collection, Melodyn Editor, and one UAD2 quad.
My assertion errors on saving were cured by updating all plug-ins and pointing all VIs to the correct content location, then trashing all preferences. (Waves seems stable with V 7r8 and up.)

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 12-03-2010, 08:00 AM

Well, I'm still about 70% deaf from chemo and radiation treatments, so I haven't exactly been running the doors off it, but I fire it up every day since it's release and noodle along with it with no problems whatsoever, excepting the initial install hiccup.

I did experience a thing with wrapped Revererate.. but once I installed the latest version that included RTAS.. no probs.

I think with 9 you will need to make sure ALL of your plugs and such are up to date or risk running into issues..

9 Still gets a huge thumbs-up from me.

What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 12-03-2010, 08:04 AM

So far so good, for me. Recording, Mixing, plug-ins, etc, all fine.