Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2010, 06:52 PM

Default When is Magma no longer supported?

Hey gang,
If this has been discussed 100 times I sure couldn't find the thread. But point me to it if one exists.

An old partner of mine mentioned that Digi will no longer support Magma Chassis products past version 9 (whenever that is) -- and maybe not even in 8 now. I have 8 now.. And used Magma perfectly for my HD1 rig in PT7. Are any of you having luck with Magma PCIe Expansion boxes in PT8? I have the Expansion Box Pro 1 slot that I used to have my HD1 card in to use with my laptop for onsite remotes. It worked flawlessly for 2 years in PT7-HD1. I bought a MacPro and retired the Magma PCIe 1slot about 9 months ago and went to PT8.

But here's what I want to do -- please don't dash my hopes.. But here goes. For a while now I've had my home mixing rig be completely compatible and liquid with the studio I do my cutting at (another location than home); except for a few plugs which I have in another folder at the studio and then of course I bring my iLok there when I want the client to hear mixes in that PRO-looking environment. But I do all the mix presets in the comfort of my own home. I know others of you work like I do.

BUT a week ago I fell in LOVE with several of the newer plugs on the UAD2 platform. Can you see where I'm going with this?

I need to be 'liquid' compatible with the studio I go to since I bring my clients THERE for final tweaks with them in the room... Is there ANY way (please say yes) that I can put my new UAD2-Quad in the Magma Chassis PCIe Expansion Box Pro 1slot and then get two host cards -- one for my home MacPro and one for the Studio's MacPro -- then I'll be 'liquid' again between both rooms. Is that possible?

And will the compatibility between Digi HD and Magma be dropped in PT9 from what anyone's heard?

Thanks for listening!
NewdestinyX
Old 04-16-2010, 09:16 PM

Default Re: When is Magma no longer supported?

Sorry but your old partner is full of it. (unless your old partner is the CEO of Avid)

Avid just killed off the chassis they rolled themselves a few years back and Magma is the only one they support. The only way this would be true is if 9 is ether all native or new external DSP (Euphionx Super Core?)

The recommended method is UAD card in the computer, HD cards in the chassis.

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 04-16-2010, 10:14 PM

Yep, the Digi branded chassis was such an unmitigated disaster, they stopped making it and only endorse the Magma one, which they have a good partnership with. It's not impossible, but highly improbable at this point that Digi would try to make their own chassis again.

And also, not sure that Digi has to 'support' the chassis by doing anything intentional anyway. If the Magma is working in PT8 on PCIe, I can't imagine Digi could really do anything in software that should keep future generations from working. The whole idea is that the chassis is 'supposed' to be transparent to the software, right?

But I think you're quite safe. There are tens of thousands of Magma chassis out there and even Digi wouldn't dare stop supporting them. That would be bone headed. Rr, well, so we 'hope' they don't do it....
Old 04-17-2010, 09:15 AM

Since your friend knows why not ask him?

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 04-17-2010, 12:29 PM

Oh and by the way, many many of us are using our Magma PE6R4 chassis' in ProTools 8 without any hitches at all. I can't speak for any of the other of Magma's chassis', but the PE6R4 is fully compatible with PT8. I'm having no 'chassis' related issues at all.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNielsen View Post
Oh and by the way, many many of us are using our Magma PE6R4 chassis' in ProTools 8 without any hitches at all. I can't speak for any of the other of Magma's chassis', but the PE6R4 is fully compatible with PT8. I'm having no 'chassis' related issues at all.
Great! Thanks to all who responded.. But so -- since the Magma's still supported.. Is there any problem with me carrying the UAD2 between home and the studio in the MAGMA -- since both the studio and home have HD systems.. I don't have any need to carry my HD cards in the MAGMA..

Theoretically -- PCIe is PCIe is PCIe... right?

I'm SO relieved about the MAGMA.......

So a controller host card in the home and studio computers and then I'll just take the 1slot PCIe Expansion Box Pro back and forth from studio to home.. and I still have the PCExpress card for my laptop too -- so the mixes will open up perfectly in all three locations, laptop too.. Agreed?

Thanks,
Grant
Old 04-17-2010, 07:01 PM

I can't see any problem moving the chassis around to different interface cards/computer combinations. If it works on one system, as long as you have the proper interface card for a second machine/system, it should work, I would certainly think!

They sell a variety of interface cards sort for that very purpose.

Tim
Old 04-18-2010, 01:55 AM

Talking Re: When is Magma no longer supported?

Quote:
+1....at the moment
Old 04-18-2010, 09:54 AM

Hah, excellent caveat. And I'll say that too. 'At the moment'... :)

Knock on wood.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyr2 View Post
+1....at the moment
Quote:
Hah, excellent caveat. And I'll say that too. 'At the moment'... :)
Knock on wood.
So there's some 'wonder' in the wind that Digi 'could' for some unknown 'all powerful, all knowing' reason decided to 'stop' supporting the Magma eventually? Is that the 'inference' I'm picking up from you two?

And what does the term "+1" mean? Sorry -- so many acronyms and text abbreviations to learn -- so little time....

Thanks,
Grant