Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2007, 01:07 PM

Default Are Windows users seeing the same bugs as Mac users?

Recently I put a post in the Mac TDM System forum (you can read it here).

I think it might apply in some ways to Windows TDM users as well. Please take a look and feel free to comment in THIS forum thread (to keep the system discussions straight) about similarities in bugs on the Windows TDM platform.

Thanks.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:12 PM

Default Re: Are Windows users seeing the same bugs as Mac users?

Quote:
Recently I put a post in the Mac TDM System forum (you can read it here).

I think it might apply in some ways to Windows TDM users as well. Please take a look and feel free to comment in THIS forum thread (to keep the system discussions straight) about similarities in bugs on the Windows TDM platform.

Thanks.
I hear you - some of these "bugs" (as you say) are very VERY annoying.

Well, I asked someone at Digi once, and they said there was a way to post a bug report n this forum (or I forget if they said it was the Digi web site), so that might be something to check. I haven't had the time to get to that yet, I've been too busy trying to get an RA number for my broken Accel card.

But, to answer your question, I could give you a whole list of "stuff" I've found on Windows XP - a lot of it has to do with system configuration though, and yes I've found a few repeatable "application bugs" like the track-color thing, and a few other things - ALL this stuff, should go into an online database (which in the best of all possible worlds, would be linked to the tech support database that Digi uses in-house).

I think, really, that this kind of system could be very efficient for Digi, if they get the "triage" part right - but I'll tell you one thing, this "waiting on the phone for tech support" stuff is COMPLETELY unacceptable - I was on hold for 63 minutes today (that's "over an hour") on Digi's tech support line, and it's like, DUDE, I'm not sure if I have that many cell phone minutes left, dig? There's no option for a call-back or anything, so you just kinda have to sit there praying that someone opens up in the next half hour.....

I mean, the least they could is to have a "HOTLINE" specifically for people who just need an RA number - 'cause you know that THOSE people, are usually desperate.

So - regarding your "method" - I'm not sure that a YouTube thing is going to accomplish the desired result (which, hopefully, is to get Digi to pay attention and fix the bugs so we all get a better product). I mean, I'd hate to think that such a level of public pressure would be "necessary" for Digi to address some of this stuff, you'd think THEY'D be just as interested in fixing it as the user community would be to have it fixed. So, from the standpoint of actually getting Digi to fix anything, I'd think you'd probably have better luck going through "official channels" - you just have to be patient enough to find the people who'll listen, that's all.

On the other hand, as a CATALOG of bugs, and as a heads-up for the user community, your idea certainly has value. The thing is though, you'd be essentially replicating Digi's tech support database, wouldn't you? I mean, in the best of all possible worlds, Digi would KNOW about this stuff, right? I'd be a bit surprised if they read any of the bugs on your list, and said "we've never heard of that, no one has ever complained about it".

Frankly - and this is just my opinion and where "I" stand as a ProTools user - I don't even care (much) about little application bugs like track coloring. The stuff I care about, is when ProTools will NOT issue Miti Time Code no matter what I do, and even if I follow the step-by-step instructions in the book. Well, it turns out that this problem is largely Windows-specific, and it has to do with the difference between the AMS and the MSS on Mac and Windows - but it's definitely an application "bug" in ProTools 'cause it'll cause your Midi Time Clock to be suppressed.

So, stuff like that - the good news is, I met a Digi tech writer the other day, and if we're lucky enough to continue our friendship then I'll try to talk to him about the importance of a complete re-write on Chapter 30 in the PT Reference Guide - that chapter is WORSE than useless - I was considerably more confused after I read it, than before - so, see what I mean? "Official" channels? Well, this one probably isn't exactly "official", but I guess the point is that "Digi is on the other end", and "they're listening".

That's the goal, right?

I think we're seeing some progress in that regard (posted about that in another thread). So far so good. I think, in fact, from where I stand, that their addressing this tech support space, is probably far more important than fixing a few nuisance application bugs. You know, it's like, if it doesn't lose data, leave it alone. 'Cause I can guarantee you that there are thousands of people out here who can't even get ProTools INSTALLED, much less get it working to the point where they're looking at the track colors that don't work.

So, maybe a slightly different perspective.

At any rate, I commend you on your efforts! :):)
Old 08-13-2007, 10:08 PM

Default Re: Are Windows users seeing the same bugs as Mac users?

Quote:
But, to answer your question, I could give you a whole list of "stuff" I've found on Windows XP - a lot of it has to do with system configuration though, and yes I've found a few repeatable "application bugs" like the track-color thing, and a few other things - ALL this stuff, should go into an online database (which in the best of all possible worlds, would be linked to the tech support database that Digi uses in-house).
My question was relating to similarities between Mac bugs and Windows bugs, specifically, do you see any of the bugs I've outlined in these videos (Pro Tools TDM - Macintosh) on the Windows platform?