Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2023, 07:47 AM

Default Re: ProTools 2023.12 available for download on Avid site:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbourget View Post
I don't know a good Samaritan who could answer my question (Marianna probably doesn't have the time, and I understand). It's impossible for me to add a bed as explained. The only choice is to add objects. I'm not new to PT, but to its Dolby Atmos system, yes (I just came from Nuendo for my Atmos projects and there are big differences).

Thanks in advance!
Nobody here knows the steps your doing to try and add a bed. Maybe you can take a video of your steps or take the time to write them down here so that people can see what you’re doing wrong or what the issue might be. Since you’re new to Pro Tools there are a lot of Dolby Atmos with Pro Tools instructional videos out there. Instead of being stuck, take some time to look through the available ones and work through the problem.
Old 12-15-2023, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
Nobody here knows the steps your doing to try and add a bed. Maybe you can take a video of your steps or take the time to write them down here so that people can see what you’re doing wrong or what the issue might be. Since you’re new to Pro Tools there are a lot of Dolby Atmos with Pro Tools instructional videos out there. Instead of being stuck, take some time to look through the available ones and work through the problem.
Two points.

1) The new internal renderer shows some changes from Dolby's external renderer. These changes are not all explained, but the way to add beds is not the same. So there's no point in going to the previous explanations. And the videos on the Internal Renderer don't cover the part I'm talking about.

2) If you go to my initial message, I write this:

Marianna, I'm sorry to ask this basic Dolby Atmos question, but I've just come from Nuendo to check out PT's new internal renderer and I can't see how to add multiple beds (and I can't find it on the manual). Can you point me in the right direction?

Marianna, for her part, seems to understand my question and replies:

Sure. Just go into Setup>I/O. In the Dolby Atmos tab, click "Create Path", and you will have the ability to add extra beds. Dolby Atmos only supports a total of 128 channels, so you may need to delete some objects to free up enough channels first. HTH - and thanks Avid engineering for this answer too.

Then I answer myself (which is the subject of this commentary):

It's impossible for me to add a bed as explained. The only choice is to add objects.

I think that's clear enough. Marianna's solution doesn't appear in the options. The process is, as I said: I open the Dolby Atmos demo, I go to the Dolby Atmos tab, I see a bed. I want to add a bed. No option in that direction. I can only add objects, as in the image I linked to my message. If you do the same thing, do you see an option to add a bed to the paths? Here, I only see the possibility of adding objects. My audio outputs are in 7.1.4 on an Apollo 16 x. In my opinion, something is missing.

[/B]
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
  • Mac Studio M2 Ultra 2023. 2T. 128 Go. + 2X 4 T NVMe ext.
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz 64 Go, full SSD

• Roland V-Piano, Novation 88
  • Etc.
  • www.claudemarcbourget.com

Last edited by cmbourget; 12-15-2023 at 09:36 AM. Reason: P.S.
Old 12-15-2023, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
They've explained before that the internal renderer will not replace the external renderer (at this time.)
This is one of those situations. That's the whole news about this.
Do you think the internal Renderer only allows one bed? Possibly. But the information, as well as Marianna's answer, seems to say that it allows several beds. Hence my question. If you have any further information, please pass it on.

• Etc.
Old 12-16-2023, 05:29 AM

Quote:
I don't know a good Samaritan who could answer my question (Marianna probably doesn't have the time, and I understand). It's impossible for me to add a bed as explained. The only choice is to add objects. I'm not new to PT, but to its Dolby Atmos system, yes (I just came from Nuendo for my Atmos projects and there are big differences).

Thanks in advance!
Here I answer to myself about this great mystery. A French sound engineer, specializing in PT and Dolby Atmos, tells me that it seems impossible to add beds via the new internal Renderer. I don't know why this information is so hard to find (and to get from Avid, if it's true). So we're a bit like Cubase, which only offers one bed internally, whereas Nuendo offers... 64 ! This question, however, relates more to the Windows world, where access to Dolby's external Renderer is more difficult than on PC (it requires a second computer and a bridge). That's it.

• Etc.
Old 12-16-2023, 05:48 AM

https://avidtech.my.salesforce-sites...ing-to-2023-12 explains how to add a bed.
Old 12-17-2023, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Oh, thanks Bob! After several attempts, I succeeded. What a weird way to create beds... but it's ok. That said, I wonder how many beds we can create this way. It would be nice if Avid would tell me.

• Etc.
Old 12-17-2023, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Oh, thanks Bob! After several attempts, I succeeded. What a weird way to create beds... but it's ok. That said, I wonder how many beds we can create this way. It would be nice if Avid would tell me.
As many as your heart desires for as many channels as the Renderer allows.
Old 12-17-2023, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPizzaMusic View Post
They really didn't offer monitoring for 9.1.4 systems? Not having live re-renders was something that annoyed me, especially as someone who relies on a 7.1.4 re-render to monitor the Audiomover's Binaural plugin for Spatial Audio. That alone is keeping me with my current external renderer configuration. There's likely a way to send the 7.1.4 monitor output to it, but since I'm on a 9.1.4 system none of this really matters.

This feels so rushed out, like Avid didn't really think of it's users working in Atmos, specifically the music mixers. I know a lot of people who are running 9.1.4 systems...
I really don't understand why wouldn't be there 9.1.4. monitoring?

Would love to hear the reason for that dear Avid!

Mac Studio Ultra, OS 13.6.5 MTRX Studio, PT Ultimate 2023.12.1, HDX1, Sync HD, BM Decklink Extreme 4K, Genelec's 9.1.4, Dolby Atmos Renderer, Avid Dock, S1, SoundFlow, Streamdeck
Old 12-17-2023, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
As many as your heart desires for as many channels as the Renderer allows.
Happiness.

• Etc.
Old 12-17-2023, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedd View Post
I really don't understand why wouldn't be there 9.1.4. monitoring?

Would love to hear the reason for that dear Avid!
Pro Tools Studio and Ultimate that supports monitoring of binaural, 2.0, 5.1, 7.1, 5.1.2, 5.1.4, 7.1.4 and 9.1.6 (Ultimate only).

9.1.6 Monitoring is with Ultimate only.