Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2001, 11:29 AM

Default Re: how to listen to CDs thru 001

The idea here is to use 001 as a sound card, without using the speaker jack on the back of the computer.
Old 01-07-2001, 02:37 PM

Ive never realy been too bothered about playing cds through the digi, but i must say that whenever i have chosen the digi001 from the sound control panel(as the Output), things get noticably unstable, i hear my HD spinning round and looking for something it cant find and it takes the system gets sluggish, so i just dont bother with it
PTLE 5.1.1
--------------------
PB G4 867
256MBRAM
PT FREE
Old 01-07-2001, 03:16 PM

I don't need this feature, but for some reason I just couldn't let go. I have tried Bruce's method. Still, I am only able to get the Sosumi Mac beet to come out of 001. I really need to move on with my life.
Old 01-07-2001, 03:53 PM

The quality out of the rear Mac jack it's too bad , very stable. You can also hear the play back of your burner.
There is no need to change any of the orginal setting (built-in default)
Just trying to help.

Nick
Old 01-07-2001, 09:19 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Gulliver:
I don't need this feature, but for some reason I just couldn't let go. I have tried Bruce's method. Still, I am only able to get the Sosumi Mac beet to come out of 001. I really need to move on with my life.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's hysterical.

Exactly what happened to me. In the end, I just gave up trying to get it to work. I could've recorded an album in the time I spent trying to hear a CD through the 001. Deliciously bad!
Old 01-08-2001, 03:17 AM

I struggled with this for a long time and finally... I came right!

Firstly I did a clean install of the Macos(9.0.4) with the multimedia update, QT 4.1.2, PTLE 5.01 ( the DVD update is not needed (I think)) . It worked... then it stopped working. Then I checked the sound control panel... very important here is the input and output screens.... make sure input screen is set to 'built in' and the dialog at the bottom where it says "play sounds though this device" must be set to NONE and the checkbox UNCHECKED.

This last bit is also the solution to the irritating "hardware not installed or in use" problem.

Hope this helps someone

//NW
Old 01-08-2001, 05:44 AM

Thanks Neil..I have had the Unable To Acquire The Hardware Thing so many times...Incredible..I've dumped the digi setup /preferences/etc, so many times that it's the best bad joke in my audio career, and like someone else said..They could have recorded an Album by now..Ha Ha..I have always had the sound out through output device checked..I'll try your suggestion..It's a CRAZY WORLD!!! THANKS..Len Slaughter [email protected]
Old 01-08-2001, 09:10 AM

STOP WITH THE TIPS!

It's like giving mouthwash to an alcoholic and telling him that there's no place to spit!
Old 01-08-2001, 10:00 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Digidesign:
The original post from matt1987gr says you have OS 9.0.4 and Pro Tools 5.0. You should be using your free update to Pro Tools 5.0.1 to begin with, and the Digidesign™ control panel that is on the CD. It should be in your System/Control Panels folder along with the Sound control panel that came with your OS 9 software.
You need to REMOVE the Digidesign Output Drivers (and the Digidesign Sound Drivers, if you have these as well or instead) from your System/Extensions folder. You should only use one of these:

Digidesign™ control panel (with OS 9)

or the Digidesign Output Drivers with OS 8.6.

Delete these from your System/Preferences folder:
DAE Prefs
DigiSetup
Pro Tools LE Preferences
Sound Preferences

Zap PRAM
(I recommend that you use TechTool from www.micromat.com for this)

Restart.

Run Pro Tools and hardware setup (I don't know that this is a necessary step, but it wouldn't hurt to get the 001 setup established)

Open Sound control panel, choose Digidesign

Open Digidesign™ control panel

Choose your hardware.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 01-09-2001, 07:27 AM

Gulliver,

I wanted to play CDs over my Mix system on my 9600, and was a little surprised to discover that the CD player always played to the built in speaker, not to the device assigned for sound manager. Like you, I could only get the beep to play to digi hardware.

I got Retro CD...an awesome $10 shareware program that reads directly from the disk (any mounted CD drive) and plays it to sound manager. You can find it on any number of download sites.

Tom

[This message has been edited by tld (edited January 09, 2001).]