Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2011, 03:30 AM

Smile Pro Tools 1, 2 and 3

I just wanna know, I know that Pro Tools 3.2 file format is .pt3, then version 4, .pt4 and so on. I just wanted to find out what were the file formats of Pro Tools 1 and 2 and if they used some form of TDM card for their processing and audio recording and how many TDM plugins did it have.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:07 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 1, 2 and 3

I'm pretty sure the first two versions were called sound tools. TDM was introduced with PTIII, on the nubus disk i/o and Dsp farm cards. Anything before the PCI version of the Pro Tools III cards is before I got into this though, so I'm not entirely sure.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 11-21-2011, 02:31 AM

Thumbs up Re: Pro Tools 1, 2 and 3

Thank you very much, you've answered me on the TDM part. So that mean that since Pro Tools 1 and 2 don't use DSP, they had no plugins, and were these versions of Pro Tools (including 3 and 4) intergrated with an audio interface like Pro Tools 8?
Old 11-21-2011, 01:04 PM

I know the old 442 and DAT I/O interfaces were from the sound tools era, there was also a smaller box that was pretty simple as well that I've seen on ebay a few times. Again this was before my time, but it was pretty limited, probably 4 tracks, maybe 8. Sound designer II was part of this era, that was a two track mastering editor. Never used it myself, but I remember hearing about it alot, people really liked it for mastering.

Pro Tools 3 was supposedly a big deal because it had 16 voices(and introduced TDM), so I'd have to assume that the earlier sound tools software was much more limited.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 11-25-2011, 01:02 AM

They used Sound Designer 1, SD I file format & later SD II.

http://www.mmvstudios.com